- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
Paddle for the Border
Paddle for the Border
Saturday, May 2, 2020
- CANCELLED -
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have made the decision to cancel the 2020 Paddle for the Border event that was scheduled for Saturday, May 2. The health and safety of our communities is of upmost importance and we feel this is the best way to move forward at this time.
If you were a paid registrant, there are three options for you to consider:
1. Request a transfer of your registration to the 2021 Paddle for the Border event, scheduled for Saturday, May 1st. Your registration information and payment will be secured for next year’s event. You may request changes (i.e. shirt size, kayak rental, name of participant(s) associated with your registration) to your original registration at the start of 2021 through the City of Chesapeake.
2. Request a credit to your ActiveNet account, which may be used towards other Chesapeake Parks, Recreation and Tourism programs within the next year.
3. Request a refund. The refund request will be processed, however, due to unknown factors, this may take longer than the usual six weeks. Please be advised that transaction fees through ActiveNet are not refundable from the City of Chesapeake. Refunds will automatically be processed in the form of the original payment—credit/debit card or check. If the original payment was in cash, the refund will be processed as a check.
Please complete this questionnaire as soon as possible to communicate your preference with the City of Chesapeake Parks, Recreation and Tourism department. If you prefer to speak to someone over the phone, please call 757-382-6411.
- Event Pictures
- Download a map of the Dismal Swamp Canal Trail
- Download a brochure depicting a map of the PADDLE route and interesting facts about the area.
Want to participate but need a boat?
NOTE: Northwest River Park kayak rentals are sold out for 2020 Paddle for the Border as of 1/5/20. Kayaks may no longer be reserved and paid for online with registration. See Other Options below for companies to call for kayak rentals.
Call Parks, Recreation and Tourism at 757-382-1318 for more information or questions.
Other Options (call company for information):
- Adventure Kayak Tours, 757-237-8776
- Chesapeake Campground, 757-485-0149
- Ocean Rentals/Surf and Adventure, 757-721-6210
- Dismal Swamp State Park, NC, 252-771-6592
If you need hotel accommodations or want more information on Chesapeake, please visit www.visitchesapeake.com
In North Carolina: Dismal Swamp Canal Welcome Center
In Virginia: Chesapeake Parks, Recreation and Tourism
Quotes from Participants
Thank you for your wonderful handling and organization of the Paddle to the Border event. I was so glad that I finally had a chance to participate in it. Well done to all the employees and volunteers.
James M. Seagraves
Newport News, VA
Dear Paddle for the Border organizers, staff and volunteers,
We would like to say thank you for the most well organized and friendly event we have ever attended. The day was glorious, the scenery was spectacular, staff and volunteers all had a 'can do' approach, the food was phenomenal, and everyone was so helpful. We had a wonderful time - and were so thankful for the two Dismal Swamp State Park Old Town rental kayaks. We're proud to wear our Paddle for the Border t-shirts and hats. Thanks to ALL for an unforgettable event.
Lonnie and Dave Schorer
I would like to thank everyone who help put this together...what a coordination, not only two cities but different states as well.. This was my first time but best bet it will not be my last... The whole thing worked like it was supposed to and I think everyone had a great time, I know the four of us did. Many thanks for the efforts.
Montey R Eldridge