This webpage will indicate changes of availability to the general public at the City of Chesapeake's parks and recreational facilities, to include community centers and specialty facilities. Examples of such changes could be due to major renovations or repairs, city major events or other large-scale activities or programs, large rentals, etc.
These changes could affect parking, traffic and/or other amenities. See section below under "Events/Programs/Rentals" for specific listings. Parks will be open to the public during these events/programs unless otherwise specified below.
City-observed Holidays at times also affect the availability at our centers and specialty facilities. See the listing of city observed holidays.
Bells Mill Park
- Beginning August 1 (and subsequent Mondays) practices, with meets on September 7, 14, 22, (28), October 5, 12, (19) at 5:30 p.m. and October 1, November 5, 11, 12 at 9:00 a.m. - High School Southeastern District Cross Country practices and meets. See schedule.
- September 3 from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. - Marlin XC Kick-Off
- October 8 from 8:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. - 6th Annual Atlantic Coast High School Cross Country Invitational
Chesapeake City Park
- August 25 from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. - USAF Rhythm in Blue Jazz Ensemble at Bagley Stage
- September 1 from 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. - CARES Picnic
- September 24 from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. - Coastal Virginia Walk to End Alzheimer's
- October 5 from 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. - Chesapeake Wine Festival 2022
- October 16 from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. - Praise Him in the Park at Bagley Stage
- September 4 from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. - Symphony Under The Starts
Dismal Swamp Canal Trail
- September 10 from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. - Sheriff's Office Freedom Run
Dr. Clarence V. Cuffee Library / Community Center
- September 24 from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. - Black Ink
Elizabeth River Park
- August 31 from 2:00 to 6:00 p.m. - Back to School and Vaccines
Oak Grove Lake Park
- September 17-18 from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. - Weekends on the Lake
- August 21 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. - The Mount at Western Branch Back-2-School
- Camelot Community Center - Closing temporarily beginning Friday, June 17, 2022, for major construction work that will be taking place over the summer at the adjoining Camelot Elementary School. This construction work will totally impact the space and any availability of the community center during the work. The Community Center is scheduled to re-open on Tuesday, September 6, 2022.
You may receive notifications through Chesapeake Alert for major changes in parks and facilities due to renovations, repair or major events by signing up here.
For up-to-the-minute Parks, Recreation and Tourism event cancellations and postponements, visit our department Facebook page.
Additional Information: 757-382-6411