- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
Therapeutic Recreation Programs
The City of Chesapeake Parks, Recreation and Tourism has been serving the citizens of Chesapeake with special needs for over 30 years! Our certified staff is dedicated to maintaining an atmosphere that empowers participants to enjoy life and reach their goals every day.
Recreational therapists work with clients to restore motor, social and cognitive functioning, build confidence, develop coping skills, and integrate skills learned in treatment settings into community settings. Intervention areas vary widely and are based upon client interests. Examples of intervention modalities include creative arts (e.g., crafts, music, dance, drama, among others), sports, adventure programming, dance/movement, and leisure education.
Steps to Participation:
Prerequisites typically include: ability to manage personal belongings with minimal assistance, ability to follow 1- to 2-step directions, ability to use the restroom with minimal assistance, and have a desire to participate. If additional assistance is needed, please let us know ahead of time so we can accommodate their needs. If the participant has a personal aide, they are encouraged to stay and assist and actively participate.
Follow these steps:
- Fill out a Participant Information Packet.
- Undergo an assessment with a TR Staff Member. Call 757-382-6411 to set up an appointment to finish the assessment process and bring the completed packet with you to the assessment meeting.
- Now all you have to do is register for the desired program! Check out our Peake Discovery Guide or programs below.
Ways to sign-up for programs
- In person at any Community Center
- Or by mail:
Chesapeake Therapeutic Recreation Programs
1224 Progressive Drive, Chesapeake VA, 23320
To complete the sign-up process or for more information, call the TR program at 757-382-6411!
Volunteer & Instructor Opportunities Are Available!
Whether it's once a month or once a week, you can make a difference.
Please call 757-382-6411 for more information.
For information about Special Olympics Virginia, visit their website.
"Special Olympics is a year-round international program of sports training and athletic competition for children and adults with intellectual disabilities. Special Olympics Virginia is the state program of Special Olympics Incorporated."
– Quote taken from the Special Olympics Virginia website
For information about Special Olympics Virginia Area 2 (Hampton Roads), visit their website.