- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Therapeutic Recreation Programs
The City of Chesapeake Parks, Recreation and Tourism has been serving the citizens of Chesapeake with special needs for over 30 years! Our certified staff is dedicated to maintaining an atmosphere that empowers participants to enjoy life and reach their goals every day.
Steps to Participation:
Prerequisites typically include: ability to manage personal belongings with minimal assistance, ability to follow 1- to 2-step directions, ability to use the restroom with minimal assistance, and have a desire to participate. If additional assistance is needed, please let us know ahead of time so we can accommodate their needs. If the participant has a personal aide, they are encouraged to stay and assist and actively participate.
Follow these steps:
- Fill out a Participant Information Packet.
- Undergo an assessment with a TR Staff Member. Call 757-382-6411 to set up an appointment to finish the assessment process and bring the completed packet with you to the assessment meeting.
- Check out our activities and programs listings and then register!
Ways to sign-up for programs
- In person at any Community Center
- Or by mail:
Chesapeake Therapeutic Recreation Programs
1224 Progressive Drive, Chesapeake VA, 23320
To complete the sign-up process or for more information, call the TR program at 757-382-6411!
Volunteer & Instructor Opportunities Are Available!
Whether it's once a month or once a week, you can make a difference.
Please call 757-382-6411 for more information.
For information about Special Olympics Virginia, visit their website.
"Special Olympics is a year-round international program of sports training and athletic competition for children and adults with intellectual disabilities. Special Olympics Virginia is the state program of Special Olympics Incorporated."
– Quote taken from the Special Olympics Virginia website
For information about Special Olympics Virginia Area 2 (Hampton Roads), visit their website.