- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Classes & Programs
Chesapeake Parks, Recreation and Tourism is Offering Instructional Programming,
Outdoor Camps and Outdoor Programs!
Visit our web page for more information and to register. Then use the search feature in the top gray menu bar (click on the magnifying glass icon) to look for specific activities and classes by typing in a key word (example: "art"), or click on the specific class listing links below.
Online registration is preferred. To register in person for instructional classes, please visit your nearest Chesapeake Community Center to come in and complete your payment. You may also register in person for all classes and outdoor camps/programs at the Parks, Recreation and Tourism Administrative Office/Visitor Center anytime during operating hours.
Note: Drop-in participation is not permitted at this time. Pre-registration is required for all instructional classes and camps. The number of class participants per program are limited.
Adult Classes (18+):
Teen/Adult Classes (13+):
Note: Select classes are offered day and evening. Participants do not have to be home-schooled in order to participate in Home-school classes.
- Art and Creative Skills (ages 6-13)
- Art and Creative Skills for Homeschoolers (ages 6-13)
- Ballet & Tap (ages 6-12)
- Boxing 101 (ages 6-12)
- Martial Arts - Karate 101 (ages 6-13)
- Martial Arts - Karate 102 (ages 6-13)
- Sewing 101 (ages 6-13)
- Sewing 101 for Homeschoolers (ages 6-13)
- Tennis 101 (ages 6-10)
- Tennis 101 for Homeschoolers (ages 6-16)
- Tennis 102 (ages 8-14)
- Tennis 102 for Homeschoolers (8-16)
- Tennis 102 - Match Play (ages 10-16)
- Weaving for Homeschoolers (ages 6-13)
- Little Picassos (ages 3.5-5)
- Mini Michelangelos (ages 2-3)
- Pre-Ballet (ages 3-5) [FULL}
- Preschool Handwork & Crafts (ages 4-5)
- Tennis for Little Hitters (ages 4-5)
FREE! Pre-registration may be required.
See our Chesapeake Outdoors newsletter for a full listing of what's happening this month!
- Fireside Chat at Northwest River Park - September 4, October 2, November 6
- Battle Walk at Great Bridge Battlefield Park - September 11, December 11
- Nature Hike - Bells Mill Park on September 11, Deep Creek Lock Park on October 16
- SkyWatch at Northwest River Park - September 11
- SunDays at Elizabeth River Park - September 25
Nature Academy in Nature's Classroom at the Chesapeake Arboretum - Ages 5-12
- Feeling the Fall - Thursday, September 23, 2021 at 9:00 a.m., Fee: $5 (Registration opens September 1 at 6 a.m.) [FULL]
- Nature's Scariest - Thursday, October 28, 2021 at 9:00 a.m., Fee: $5 (Registration opens October 1 at 6 a.m.)
55 & Better Virtual Programming:
Join us for these exciting "Virtual" activities using Zoom Video Conferencing!
If you are interested in participating in future virtual opportunities, please email your contact information to email@example.com and request to be added to our Master Email List.
Mondays and Fridays at 11 a.m. and Evening Bingo on the first Tuesday of the month at 7 p.m.
Bingo prizes can be picked up curbside at The Portlock at South Norfolk, 3815 Bainbridge Boulevard, on the first Tuesday of from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. for the previous month's Bingo winners.
Virtual Activities Using Zoom Video Conferencing - Flyer
55 & Better In-Person Programming and Events:
For in-person classes and programs, check out our monthly E-Newsletter. Registration information is located at the bottom of the newsletter. If the class or group is full and you are interested in being added to the waiting lists, please send us a request by email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Therapeutic Recreation Programming:
All new and returning individuals participating in Therapeutic Recreation Programs will need to have an updated assessment completed ASAP. Assessment information packets are available online for you to print and complete prior to attending an assessment with a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (C.T.R.S.). The assessment is to ensure all staff are aware of each individual’s communications style, necessary modifications, and other helpful information that will eliminate barriers to recreation participation. We will also establish measurable goals that each participant will be encouraged to work on while in T.R. programs. To set up an assessment or if you have any questions, please call 757-382-1328.
There will be a limited amount of space in each program so that we can ensure CDC guidelines are maintained. The "register by" dates for each class will give us time to adequately plan for supplies and spacing.
These social groups are dedicated to increasing participants’ independence while creating opportunities for individuals to make new friends and enjoy fun activities.
Visit our web page for more information on the following programs:
- TR PARENT/CAREGIVER Information Meeting
- TR-C.R.E.W. (Chesapeake Recreation, Education and Wellness) Club Programs (Ages 18+) - In Person
- TR-Chair Exercise (Ages 18+) - In Person and Virtual Options
- TR-Outdoor Fun (Ages 18+) - NEW! - In Person
- TR-TEEN Picasso's in the Park (Ages 13-22) - NEW! - In Person
- TR-Painting to Music (Ages 18+) - NEW! - Virtual
- TR-Karaoke (Ages 18+) - Virtual