- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Classes & Programs
Chesapeake Parks, Recreation and Tourism Offers
Outdoor Camps and Outdoor Programs!
Online Registration - Preferred Method
- Visit our online registration site for more information and to register.
- Use the search feature in the top gray menu bar by clicking on the magnifying glass icon.
- Look for specific activities and classes by typing in a key word (example: "art").
- Or, use the links to the specific class listings on this page.
- Visit your nearest Chesapeake Community Center to register and complete your payment.
- Or, visit the Parks, Recreation and Tourism Administrative Office/Visitor Center anytime during operating hours to register for any classes and outdoor camps/programs.
Drop-in Participation - Not Permitted at This Time
Pre-registration is required for all instructional classes and camps. The number of class participants per program are limited.
Adult Classes/Clinics (18+)
Teen/Adult Classes/Clinics (13+)
- Adventures in STEM with LEGO Materials (ages 5-7)
- Art Camp (ages 6-13) [FULL]
- Ballet and Modern Dance Camp (ages 6-12)
- Ballet, Tap & Creative Movement - Level I (ages 6-12)
- Ballet, Tap & Creative Movement - Level II (ages 6-12)
- Beginner Basketball Camp (ages 6-12) [FULL]
- Beginner Volleyball Camp (ages 8-14)
- Boxing 101 Camp (ages 6-12)
- Field Hockey Camp (ages 6-14)
- Intermediate Basketball Camp (ages 8-13) [FULL]
- Martial Arts - Karate Camp (ages 6-13)
- Sewing Camp (ages 6-13)
- Soccer Camp (ages 5-14)
- Spanish Language and Culture Studies Camp (ages 9-14)
- STEM Explorations (ages 8-10)
- Tennis 101 Camp (ages 6-10)
- Tennis 102 Camp (ages 9-14)
- Tennis 103 Camp (10-16)
- Theater Camp (ages 8-14)
- Weaving Camp (ages 6-13)
- Little Kickers - Soccer Camp (ages 3-5) [FULL]
- Little Scientists Camp (ages 3-5)
- Mini Melodies - Music Camp (ages 2-5)
- Moving Grooving Mini's Camp (ages 2-5)
- Ready, Set, Paint - Art Camp (ages 2-5)
- Tiny Dancer Camp (ages 3-5)
See our Chesapeake Outdoors newsletter for a full listing of what's happening this month!
The following events are FREE! Pre-registration may be required.
- Battle Walk - April 16 [FULL], June 11, September 10, December 10
- Colonial Garden Tour - May 21, July 20, September 21, November 16
- Fireside Chat at Northwest River Park - May 7, June 4, August 6, September 3, October 1, November 5
- Guided Nature Hikes at Different Parks - April 23, May 28, July 23, August 27, September 24, November 12
- Guided Nature Hike/Owl Prowl - October 22 (Northwest River Park), November 19 (Dismal Swamp Canal Trail), December 10 (Northwest River Park)
- SunDays at Elizabeth River Park - April 16, May 14, June 11, July 9, August 13, September 10, October 8, November 12, December 3
- Skywatch at Northwest River Park - April 23, May 21, June 18, July 23, August 20, September 17, October 15, November 19, December 17
Nature Academy at the Chesapeake Arboretum
Ages 5-12, $5 per class. March through October on the fourth Thursday of the month. Registration for that month's class opens on the first day of the month.
- Trash Talk - April 28, 2022, 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- Growing Gardens - May 26, 2022, 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- Buzz Like a Bee - June 23, 2022, 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- Animals on Display - July 28, 2022, 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- Keeping Forests - August 25, 2022, 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- Forest Foragers - September 22, 2022, 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- Natures Scariest - October 27, 2022 - 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Outdoor Summer Camps
Registration opens April 11th. All camps will take place at River Crest Community Center.
- Super Science Week Camp: July 11 - July 15, 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., ages 6-9, $100
- Survival Week Camp I: July 18 - July 22, 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., ages 6-9, $100
- Survival Week Camp II: July 25 - July 29, 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., ages 9-12, $100
- Crazy Nature Week Camp I: August 1 - August 5, 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., ages 6-9, $100
- Crazy Nature Week Camp II: August 8 - August 12, 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., ages 9-12, $100
- Pre-School Ranger Camp A.M.: August 15 - August 19, 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m., ages 3-5, $50
- Pre-School Ranger Camp P.M.: August 16 - August 19, 12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m., ages 3-5, $50
Join us for "Virtual" Bingo using Zoom Video Conferencing!
If you are interested in participating in this opportunity, please email your contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org and request to be added to our Master Email List.
Fridays at 11 a.m.
Bingo prizes can be picked up at the Rokeby Center, 1709 Rokeby Avenue, every other month.
In-Person Programming and Events
For in-person classes and programs, check out our activities guide.
All new and returning individuals participating in Therapeutic Recreation Programs will need to have an updated assessment completed ASAP. Assessment information packets are available online for you to print and complete prior to attending an assessment with a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (C.T.R.S.). The assessment is to ensure all staff are aware of each individual’s communications style, necessary modifications, and other helpful information that will eliminate barriers to recreation participation. We will also establish measurable goals that each participant will be encouraged to work on while in T.R. programs. To set up an assessment or if you have any questions, please call 757-382-1328.
- Dates: Tuesday, June 21, 2022 - Friday, August 19, 2022 (No camp on July 4th due to the holiday)
- Location: Great Bridge Community Center
- Time: 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Cost: $100 per week with $25 Registration Fee
- Registration Opens: Monday, April 4, 2022 (in person only). Call 757-382-1328, email email@example.com or come to Chesapeake Visitor's Center. Participants will need to complete an assessment prior to the start of camp
- Registration Deadline: Registration for each camp week must take place no later than the Friday before the camp week begins.
These social groups are dedicated to increasing participants’ independence while creating opportunities for individuals to make new friends and enjoy fun activities. Visit our online registration site or more information on the following programs:
- TR PARENT/CAREGIVER Information Meeting
- TR-C.R.E.W. (Chesapeake Recreation, Education and Wellness) Club Programs (Ages 18+) - In Person
- TR-Chair Exercise (Ages 18+) - In Person and Virtual Options
- TR-Outdoor Fun (Ages 18+) - NEW! - In Person
- TR-TEEN Picasso's in the Park (Ages 13-22) - NEW! - In Person
- TR-Painting to Music (Ages 18+) - NEW! - Virtual
- TR-Karaoke (Ages 18+) - Virtual