- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
I Want To
- Apply for SNAP (Food Assistance)
- Apply for TANF
- Apply for Medicaid (Medical Assistance)
- Apply for Child Care Assistance
- Apply for Energy Assistance (Heating/Cooling)
- Report Suspected Adult Abuse/Neglect
- Report Suspected Child Abuse/Neglect
- Get Child Support Information
- Get Housing Information
- Get Information on Social Security
- Get Information on Virginia Employment Commission
- Find Resources
Adult Protective Services Program
Adult Protective Services
Adult Protective Services investigates reports of abuse, neglect, and exploitation of adults 60 years of age or older and incapacitated adults age 18 or older. Chesapeake Social Services receives reports and conducts investigations to determine the need for protective services and provides or arranges for services needed.
To report suspected abuse, neglect or exploitation of an adult,
Call 757-382-2008, Monday through Friday (except holidays) from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Call 1-800-552-7096 (Evenings/Weekends/Holidays)
What are some examples of abuse, neglect and exploitation?
Examples include but are not limited to:
- Causing intentional pain or injury
- Withholding or failing to provide medication, food or water
- Refusal of a caretaker to get medical treatment for the adult
- Physically restraining the adult as a means of punishment or for the convenience of the caregiver
- Use of the adults money for someone else’s benefit
- Sexual abuse
- Self neglect
Adult Services are designed to allow an adult to remain in the least restrictive setting and function as independently as possible by providing supportive services. Adult Services are provided to adults age 18 and older who have a disability and to their families when appropriate.
Adult Services provided in Chesapeake are:
|COMPANION SERVICES||Companion Services are available to income eligible and disabled adults who need help with basic daily living activities such as light housekeeping, meal preparation, laundry, bathing and dressing.|
|NURSING HOME PRE-SCREENINGS||Individuals who are Medicaid eligible or will be Medicaid eligible within 180 days of placement and who are seeking Medicaid long-term care services.|
|ASSISTED LIVING FACILITY ASSESSMENTS||Assessments are completed for persons needing to move into an assisted living facility and will be eligible for Auxiliary Grant payment to help with the cost of care in the facility.|
|ADULT FOSTER CARE||Adult foster care is an optional program that provides room, board and supervision and special services to an adult who has a physical or mental health need.|
|ADULT DAY CARE||The purchase of services from approved providers for a portion of a 24-hour day. Adult Day Care services include personal supervision of the adult and promote social, physical and emotional well-being through companionship, self-education and leisure activities.|
Please call us at 757-382-2000 to learn more about our programs and ask further questions.