- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
I Want To
- Apply for SNAP (Food Assistance)
- Apply for TANF
- Apply for Medicaid (Medical Assistance)
- Apply for Child Care Assistance
- Apply for Energy Assistance (Heating/Cooling)
- Report Suspected Adult Abuse/Neglect
- Report Suspected Child Abuse/Neglect
- Get Child Support Information
- Get Housing Information
- Get Information on Social Security
- Get Information on Virginia Employment Commission
- Find Resources
Food Assistance - Health and Nutrition
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
also known as Food Stamps
What is SNAP?
SNAP (formerly known as Food Stamps) enables qualified recipients to buy food at their local grocery store. An amount is placed on an electronic benefit card (EBT) that may be used like a debit card to purchase eligible food items from stores that display the "We accept EBT" or Cardinal card logo.
How do I apply for SNAP?
You can apply online at CommonHelp or call 1-855-635-4370
What can I purchase with SNAP benefits?
You can use SNAP to buy food or seeds and plants to grow food in your home garden. You cannot use SNAP benefits to buy:
- Alcoholic beverages or tobacco
- Hot foods ready for immediate consumption or foods to be eaten on the store premises
- Pet foods
- Soap or paper products or other non-food items
Please call us at 757-382-2000 to learn more about our programs and ask further questions.