- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
I Want To
- Apply for SNAP (Food Assistance)
- Apply for TANF
- Apply for Medicaid (Medical Assistance)
- Apply for Child Care Assistance
- Apply for Energy Assistance (Heating/Cooling)
- Report Suspected Adult Abuse/Neglect
- Report Suspected Child Abuse/Neglect
- Get Child Support Information
- Get Housing Information
- Get Information on Social Security
- Get Information on Virginia Employment Commission
- Find Resources
Temporary Assistance For Needy Families (TANF) Program
TANF provides temporary financial assistance to eligible families with children. Eligible families receive a monthly cash payment to meet their basic needs. To be eligible, a family must be financially needy and must meet certain requirements.
To apply for TANF, please visit CommonHelp or call 1-855-635-4370
The Medical Assistance Program (Medicaid) pays for health and medical care for certain groups of people who have low income. Medicaid is only available for people who fall in certain categories and who have limited finances.
To apply for Medicaid, please visit CommonHelp or call 1-855-635-4370
Long Term Care Medicaid
Long Term Care is medical treatment and services directed by a licensed practitioner the healing arts towards maintenance, improvement, or protection of health or lessening of illness, disability or pain which have been received, or are expected to be received, for longer than 30 consecutive days.
There are three processes that must take place to determine Long Term Care Medicaid:
- Pre-admission screening to determine the level of care
- Submitting Long Term Care Medicaid application for funding of eligible services
- The evaluation of long term care Medicaid application
A checklist will follow 10 days after receipt of the long term care Medicaid application. This checklist will request income excluding Social Security income, all resources and property transfers and will need to be verified by the benefit worker.
Energy Assistance Program
Chesapeake's Energy Assistance Program is comprised of three components: fuel assistance, crisis assistance, and cooling assistance. The Energy Assistance Program assists eligible low income households offset the costs of home energy.To apply for Energy Assistance, please visit CommonHelp or call 1-855-635-4370
Please call us at 757-382-2000 to learn more about our programs and ask further questions.