- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
I Want To
- Apply for SNAP (Food Assistance)
- Apply for TANF
- Apply for Medicaid (Medical Assistance)
- Apply for Child Care Assistance
- Apply for Energy Assistance (Heating/Cooling)
- Report Suspected Adult Abuse/Neglect
- Report Suspected Child Abuse/Neglect
- Get Child Support Information
- Get Housing Information
- Get Information on Social Security
- Get Information on Virginia Employment Commission
- Find Resources
Temporary Assistance For Needy Families (TANF) Program
TANF provides temporary financial assistance to eligible families with children. Eligible families receive a monthly cash payment to meet their basic needs. To be eligible, a family must be financially needy and must meet certain requirements.
To apply for TANF, please visit CommonHelp or call 1-855-635-4370
The Medical Assistance Program (Medicaid) pays for health and medical care for certain groups of people who have low income. Medicaid is only available for people who fall in certain categories and who have limited finances.
To apply for Medicaid, please visit CommonHelp or call 1-855-635-4370
Energy Assistance Program
Chesapeake's Energy Assistance Program is comprised of three components: fuel assistance, crisis assistance, and cooling assistance. The Energy Assistance Program assists eligible low income households offset the costs of home energy.
To apply for Energy Assistance, please visit CommonHelp or call 1-855-635-4370
Please call us at 757-382-2000 to learn more about our programs and ask further questions.