- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
I Want To
- Apply for SNAP (Food Assistance)
- Apply for TANF
- Apply for Medicaid (Medical Assistance)
- Apply for Child Care Assistance
- Apply for Energy Assistance (Heating/Cooling)
- Report Suspected Adult Abuse/Neglect
- Report Suspected Child Abuse/Neglect
- Get Child Support Information
- Get Housing Information
- Get Information on Social Security
- Get Information on Virginia Employment Commission
- Find Resources
Child Care and Early Childhood Development Services
How can I apply for Child Care and Early Childhood Development Services?
Applications are accepted at Chesapeake Social Services Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. or by applying online at the Common Help website through the Virginia Department of Social Services.
What are the eligibility requirements for Child Care Services?
The requirements are as follows:
- A person has to be receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).
- A person has to be employed, in school and/or in training towards employment.
Am I still eligible for Child Care Services if I am no longer receiving TANF?
You may be eligible for Transitional Child Care Services if you are employed and meet the income eligible guidelines. You must have received a TANF payment within the previous 12 months. If you are determined to be eligible for Transitional Child Care, you will be responsible for a 10% monthly co-pay based on your gross earnings. Transitional Child Care is a 12-month program, effective the month following TANF closure.
Are Child Care Services available to those persons who have not ever received TANF?
Yes, Child Care Services may be available to you. Please visit the CommonHelp website. You will be notified by letter that your case will be placed on a Waiting List based on your application date, until funds are available. You will also be contacted to attend an Orientation Session when there are available funds.
Virginia ECC (Electronic Child Care) Card must be utilized by each customer receiving child care services.
Please visit Virginia Department of Social Services – Child Care Assistance for more information.
Parent Helpline 1-877-918-2322 Vendor Helpline 1-877-918-2776