- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
I Want To
- Apply for SNAP (Food Assistance)
- Apply for TANF
- Apply for Medicaid (Medical Assistance)
- Apply for Child Care Assistance
- Apply for Energy Assistance (Heating/Cooling)
- Report Suspected Adult Abuse/Neglect
- Report Suspected Child Abuse/Neglect
- Get Child Support Information
- Get Housing Information
- Get Information on Social Security
- Get Information on Virginia Employment Commission
- Find Resources
Volunteer for Juvenile Services
|Phone: 757-382-6779||Fax: 757-382-8821|
|Address: 420 Albemarle Drive, Chesapeake, VA 23322|
Thank you for your interest and desire to volunteer with Chesapeake Juvenile Services (CJS) a division of the Department of Human Services for the City of Chesapeake. CJS is an organization of well-trained professionals dedicated to the positive development of court involved youth detained in our care.
We promote positive change in our at-risk youth by modeling desired behaviors, building social skills, and collaborating with the families, community, and service providers to assist residents in reaching their full potential. CJS hopes to inspire youth to discover value in themselves, their peers, their families, authority figures, and their communities to assist them in becoming a productive contributing citizen of society.
In order to completely fulfill our mission, we need and welcome youth/family-focused individuals, businesses, agencies and service providers to assist us in the delivery of quality services to our residents. CJS may have a wonderful volunteer opportunity waiting for you!
Although non-inclusive, we need volunteers to serve in the following capacities:
- Group Facilitators
- Tutors for Literacy, Writing and Math
- Social/Vocational Skill Building Curriculums & Activities
- Arts & Crafts
- Theatrical Performance & Production
- Poetry/ Music
- Job and Career Readiness Skill Development
- Motivational Speaking
- Complete the CJS Volunteer Application on the City of Chesapeake jobs website.
- Provide three (3) personal or work references. ( Not related to you)
- Inform Chesapeake Juvenile Services that you have completed your application. You may call Peter Curney, Training Coordinator at 757-382-6135 or email him at email@example.com or Karin Harrell, Program Manager at 757-382-6460; email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Complete the following items with the City of Chesapeake Human Resources (someone from HR will contact you to schedule an appointment):
- Child Protective Services Request for Search of the Central Registry and the Release of Information Form
- Background investigations with Release of Information Forms to include all of the following: Criminal history, FBI and State Police fingerprints, Sex Offender Registry
- Complete interview and/or provide a presentation of the services you would like to provide to a panel of CJS staff. If you require audiovisual aids for your presentation, please notify one of the individuals listed in #3 above in advance for accommodations.