- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
I Want To
- Apply for SNAP (Food Assistance)
- Apply for TANF
- Apply for Medicaid (Medical Assistance)
- Apply for Child Care Assistance
- Apply for Energy Assistance (Heating/Cooling)
- Report Suspected Adult Abuse/Neglect
- Report Suspected Child Abuse/Neglect
- Get Child Support Information
- Get Housing Information
- Get Information on Social Security
- Get Information on Virginia Employment Commission
- Find Resources
Chesapeake Juvenile Services Education Program
Chesapeake Juvenile Services Center Education Program provides appropriate educational services to school aged children and youth residing at Chesapeake Juvenile Services Center. The mission is to provide students with quality instruction through a continuum of educational programs that promote achievement, character, the skills necessary to transition from the program with tools that enhance citizenship and life-long learning.
The Education Program faculty includes a principal, an administrative assistant, 14 full-time teachers, and a part-time remedial teacher.
The Education Program:
Provides educational services to students below the age of 18 residing in the facility with a minimum of 5½ hours a day of instruction.
Ensures that the educational services provided will allow the student to maintain and/or advance his/her current level of academic functioning and provides a smooth transition back to his/her previous setting.
Provides a system of ongoing communication, regarding the student's current educational performance, with the student, the parents/guardians, home school and appropriate community agencies.
Provides a continuum of program alternatives to meet the needs of each student and may include, if appropriate:
- Instruction and assessment in the Virginia Standards of Learning
- Basic education skills and remedial instruction
- Prevocational, vocational, and career education
- Preparation for high school graduation Preparation for Graduation Equivalency Diploma (GED) examination
- Special Education Services as directed by IEPs and 504 Plans
- English Language Learner Services
Complies with the following federal and state regulations:
- Code of Virginia
- Regulation Governing Special Education Programs for Children with Disabilities in Virginia, March 27, 2002
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act 2004, PL 108-446
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973