- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
Dr. Clarence V. Cuffee Endowed Scholarship
The Late Dr. Clarence V. Cuffee
1945 – 2006
Chesapeake City Manager
In memory and recognition of Dr. Cuffee’s lifelong commitment to continued learning, a scholarship was established in his name to help deserving students continue their education.
The Dr. Clarence V. Cuffee Scholarship was endowed in 2010 through the financial assistance of the City of Chesapeake employees, family, friends and colleagues of Dr. Cuffee. The Norfolk State University (NSU) Foundation has issued over $87,000 to deserving Chesapeake students attending NSU and majoring in social work or education.
In the past, the Dr. Clarence V. Cuffee Endowed Scholarship was utilized exclusively for financial assistance of full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate (including rising freshmen), graduate, and post-graduate students enrolled in the Ethelyn R. Strong School of Social Work or the school of education at Norfolk State University and residents of the City of Chesapeake, Virginia. City of Chesapeake employees pursuing a degree at NSU in any area of public service are eligible to apply for the Scholarship. Applications are now being accepted.The deadline to receive applications is February 28, 2020 by 5:00 p.m. Applications may be emailed to email@example.com.
Dr. Clarence V. Cuffee was a lifelong proponent of education who dedicated his life to the service of others. His personal pursuit of education led him to earn a doctorate in social work in 2003 from Norfolk State University. Dr. Cuffee was a teacher and a coach who mentored students in the City of Chesapeake. His career as City Manager was marked by innovations in programs and services for his constituents and his humble but empowering approach to leadership. He was quoted as saying, “A city is more than buildings. It’s people too. As a city develops, it must also develop is human capital, its people.” It is evident that his thoughts heavily influenced the City’s motto of “Chesapeake, the City that Cares.”
Contribution to the scholarship fund may be sent to:
Norfolk State University Foundation
700 Park Avenue, HBW 410
Norfolk, VA 23504
On the memo line of your check, please reference the Dr. Clarence V. Cuffee Endowed Scholarship Fund. Contributions can also be sent electronically.
For more details, call the NSU Development Office at 757-823-8323
Eligibility Criteria & Frequently Asked Questions
- All applicants must be attending or accepted to Norfolk State University as a full-time student
- All applicants must live in Chesapeake except City of Chesapeake employees
- Chesapeake residents must major in social work or education
- City of Chesapeake employees with or without Chesapeake residency can major in a public service field including social work and education
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I attend another school other than Norfolk State University?
No, you must be attending or accepted to Norfolk State University.
- Am I eligible to apply if I am a part-time NSU student?
No, you must be a full-time student at Norfolk State University.
- Am I eligible to apply if I am a part-time or part-time seasonal employee?
Yes, as long as you are a full-time student at Norfolk State University.
- If awarded, when would I receive the scholarship funds?
Scholarship payment would be applied to your fall semester, not spring.
- Does the “public service” stipulation include medical?
Yes, if you plan to work in the public government sector, e.g. a nurse with Chesapeake Integrated Behavioral Healthcare. No, if your plan is to become a medical doctor or psychiatrist at the hospital.
- Are licensure/certification fees included?
No, this is strictly for tuition as a full-time student attending or accepted to Norfolk Statue University.
- I am a state employee and currently attend NSU, however; I work for The Department of Judicial Services in Chesapeake. Am I eligible to apply?
Yes, the selection committee will carefully review each application and will make a determinations based on each applicants qualifying criteria.