- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
Information Related to Battlefield Golf Club
This website is for residents concerned about the Battlefield Golf Club on Centerville Turnpike. Here you will find related documents requested by the City from businesses and agencies involved with the development of the course. New information will be added as we receive it.
- Answers to citizen questions from the March 16th, 2011 community meeting
- Hydrogeologic Investigation and Groundwater Modeling Report (March 2011)
For ease of use, the above document has been broken into smaller sections.
Correspondence with Citizens
- October 19, 2011 Community Meeting Notice
- Letter to Residents - Notification of additional funds to offset some of the cost of connecting to City water, August 25, 2011
- Letter to affected residents on Whittamore Road announcing completion of the Whittamore Road portion of public water improvements, January 12, 2011
- Letter to affected residents on Centerville Turnpike and Fentress Road announcing completion of the Centerville Turnpike portion of public water improvements July 9, 2010 (991 kb, 2 pages)
- Newsletter to the community from EPA with information about open houses planned for May 2010
- Newsletter mailed to residents September 8, 2009 (85 kb, 2 pages)
- URS Letter to Citizens April 22, 2009 (173 kb, 5 pages)
- URS Battlefield Golf Club Water Project Water Supply Feasibility Study: Summary of Findings and Recommendations (33 kb, 3 pages)
- Newsletter mailed to residents September 19, 2008 (77 kb, 2 pages)
- Letter to Residents mailed September 5, 2008 (60 kb, 1 page)
- Newsletter mailed to residents August 14, 2008 (88 kb, 2 pages)
- Newsletter mailed to residents on July 25, 2008 (86 kb, 2 pages)
- Flyer for Community Meeting July 17, 2008 (81 kb, 1 page)
- Newsletter mailed to residents on May 16, 2008 (53 kb, 2 pages)
Map of Greenhaven Drainage Improvement Project referred to in newsletter
- Newsletter mailed to residents on May 9, 2008 (53 kb, 2 pages)
- Newsletter mailed to residents on April 22, 2008 (586 kb, 3 pages)
- About Your Well Testing (34 kb, 3 pages)
- Results of well tests from 2001-2002, includes 43 tests from wells near golf course. (2.37 mb, 109 pages)
- Click here to see if your well was tested (56 kb, 1 page)
City Water Project
Other Projects in the Area
- Murray Dr/Greenhaven Area Outfall Improvements project
The EPA accepted comments on proposed fly ash regulations until November 19, 2010. More information is available online.
The Subcommittee on Energy and Environment hearing entitled "Drinking Water and Public Health Impacts of Coal Combustion Waste Disposal" held on Thursday, December 10, 2009, in Washington, D.C.. This hearing will examine the safe drinking water and health impacts associated with current practices for the disposal of coal fly ash.
Public Comment Opportunity: Draft permit for the Chesapeake Energy Center Industrial Landfill. This permit modifies the permit and corrective action plan which allows continued operation of the industrial landfill located off Military Highway along the Southern Branch of the Elizabeth River in Chesapeake, Virginia. This facility serves as an industrial landfill for the disposal of coal ash.
Coal Combustion Byproduct Advisory Committee - Meeting Minutes
Agency: Department of Environmental Quality
Board: Virginia Waste Management Board
According to DEQ, "the Department has established this Committee to review the Coal Combustion Byproducts Regulation, 9 VAC 20-85. Specifically the Committee will review and make recommendations on the entire regulation including locational restrictions, design and construction requirements, operations, closure, testing of the product prior to placement, a public notice component and other topics that may be brought up during the public comment period. The Department expects that a rulemaking will be initiated to amend the regulation and this Committee will be used to assist in the development of a proposal for the Virginia Waste Management Board's consideration."
Test Results for Surface Water and Ground Water
- Groundwater Monitoring Data
- 2010 Annual Groundwater Monitoring Report, prepared on behalf of Dominion Power and submitted to theVirginia Department of Environmental Quality - posted May 2011
- Hydrogeologic Investigation and Groundwater Modeling Report - March 2011
- Post-Construction Ash Fill, Soil Cover & Groundwater Evaluation Report
Prepared December 17, 2009, for Dominion Generation by MACTEC Engineering and Consulting, Inc.
- Test Results for Surface Water and Ground Water - September 2008
- Request for Appendix D from the original 2001 URS report "Ash Stabilization, Groundwater Modeling and Risk Evaluation" sent to Dominion Power from the City of Chesapeake. (468 kb, 1 page)
- Letter from the City of Chesapeake to Hudson Insurance dated June 27, 2008, sent in response to denial of claims (156 kb, 3 pages)
- EPA Letter Regarding Battlefield Golf Course (157 kb, 3 pages)
- Battlefield Golf Club July 2008 Site Preliminary Test Results Summary (217 kb, 1 page)
- Agreement between MJM Golf, LLC and the City of Chesapeake, made May 22, 2008 (239 kb, 6 pages)
- Letter sent by the City to MJM Golf giving notice of claim for each potable well serving a home within a 2,000 foot radius of the outer boundaries of the golf course (66 kb, 2 pages)
The City of Chesapeake has expertise in operating a municipal water system and ensuring that the public water supply meets all safe drinking water specifications. However, the City does not regulate private wells and therefore, is not an expert on the issue of groundwater quality. The City encourages you to consult the websites of the Environmental Protection Agency, the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality and the Virginia Department of Health for information regarding water quality and fly ash.
- EPA Region III Pollution Report dated January 14, 2010
- EPA Region III Pollution Report dated July 6, 2009
- EPA Region III Pollution Report dated July 1, 2009
- EPA Website on Battlefield Golf Club Fly Ash Assessment
- Environmental Protection Agency - drinking water information
- Environmental Protection Agency - private well information
- Environmental Protection Agency - National Contingency Plan
The National Oil and Hazardous Substances Pollution Contingency Plan, more commonly called the National Contingency Plan or NCP, is the federal government's blueprint for responding to both oil spills and hazardous substance releases.
- Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ)
- Virginia Department of Health
- Information about Aquifers
- Contact Nancy Welch, Chesapeake Health Department
Other Requested Documents
- March 30, 2009 Draft Site Inspection Report for the Battlefield Golf Site (2.66 mb, 33 pages)
The document above was intended to provide preliminary information to EPA and was not intended for public release. Because it has been released to the media, the City has posted it here so that you can read it in its entirety.
- ENCO Lab Sheets & Slug Test Well Data (23.53 mb, 387 pages)
- City of Chesapeake Comments to the Draft Site Inspection Report Prepared by Tetra Tech EM Inc. for Battlefield Golf Course (215 kb, 4 pages)
- Documents received from Dominion: Environmental hydro geological studies done at the golf course site by URS in Sept. 2001 and Dec. 2001 and Environmental study done by GIAO at the golf course site in 2003.
- EPA Validation Report - Posted February 24, 2009
- For ease of use, the above document has been broken into smaller sections.
- Documents requested and received from MJM Golf, current owner of Battlefield Golf Club
- Documents requested and received from the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) (33.34 mb, 102 pages)
- Documents requested and received from the Virginia State Health Department (1.64 mb, 37 pages)
- Documents requested and received from Hassell & Folks (541 kb, 16 pages)
The following documents include details of the project and related stipulations:
Planning Commission Meeting, May 9, 2001
- Marked Agenda (84 kb, 17 pages)
- Minutes (119 kb, 37 pages)
- Staff Report for UP-01-03 - Etheridge Greens (58 kb, 14 pages)
City Council Meeting, June 20, 2001
- Minutes (71 kb, 26 pages)
- Request for emergency appropriation of $6,000,000 from Dominion Power for design services and construction for water for neighborhoods in the vicinity of the Battlefield Golf Club. (112 kb, 3 pages)
- Resolution asking the Planning Commission to consider changes to the City’s Comprehensive Plan to expand the area that receives water. (254 kb, 7 pages)
- Resolution requesting that the City Manager be authorized to allow Battlefield Golf Club to continue operating under the agreement with MJM Golf that went into effect in May 2008. (291 kb, 9 pages)
Documents related to permits and approvals
- UP-01-03 Documents 1532 - 1880 (11 mb, 349 pages)
- UP-01-03 Documents 1881 - 1883 (590 mb, 3 pages)
- UP-01-03 Documents 1884 - 1896 (404 mb, 13 pages)
- Public Works Documents 1897 - 2055 (5 mb, 159 pages)
- Etheridge Greens Documents 2056 - 2418 (14 mb, 363 pages)