- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
In-Person Absentee Voting
Virginia Absentee Ballot Applications
- Virginia Absentee Ballot Application (for permanent residents of Virginia who will be away from their city or county on Election Day or unable to go to the polls because of illness or disability)
- Virginia Annual Absentee Ballot Application due to Physical Disability or Illness (for permanent residents of Virginia who are unable to go to the polls because of illness or disability)
In-Person Voting Locations
Absentee voting for November 5, 2019 General Election will be available at the following location:
The General Registrar's Office located at 411 Cedar Road Chesapeake, VA 23322
Monday – Friday 8a.m. - 5 p.m. September 20 - November 1
Saturday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. October 26 & November 2
Reasons You Can Request an Absentee Ballot
You may vote absentee, either by mail or in person, if you are unable to go to the polls on Election Day because you...
- Are a student or the spouse of a student attending a school outside Chesapeake
- Will be away from Chesapeake on business
- Will be away from Chesapeake on personal business or vacation
- Will be working and commuting for 11 or more hours between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m.
- Are a first responder (member of law enforcement, fire fighter, emergency technician, search and rescue)
- Are unable to go to the polls because of illness or disability
- Are the primary caretaker of a confined family member
- Have a religious obligation
- Are confined awaiting trial
- Are confined having been convicted of a misdemeanor
- Are an election official
- Are on active duty in the military outside Chesapeake
- Are the spouse or dependent residing with a member of the military outside Chesapeake
- Are an overseas citizen whose most recent United States residence was in Chesapeake
- Are an authorized representative for a candidate or political party serving inside the polling place
- Granted a protective order by court of competent jurisdiction
Tips for Absentee Voters
- Apply early! Voters can request an Absentee Ballot Application as early as 12 months before an election. Please allow enough time for your application to be processed and your ballot to be mailed to you. Your voted ballot must be received by your Electoral Board in time to be counted on Election Day.
- Please fill out the form completely. Omissions on your form can jeopardize your ability to vote.
- Check your Absentee Ballot Status