- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
In-Person Absentee and Absentee By-Mail Voting
You can now vote early at your local registrar’s office beginning 45 days before Election Day and ending the Saturday before Election Day. Before visiting your local registrar’s office, you may wish to check your registration status or call your registrar’s office. You can find your registrar’s phone number or contact the registrar’s office at 757-277-9797.
In-person, early voting for Chesapeake voters will be available at the locations, dates, and hours listed below beginning Friday, September 17, and ending Saturday, October 30.
** There will be no Early Voting at the Dr. Clarence Cuffee Community Center on Tuesday, September 21, 2021. Due to unforeseen circumstances the center will be closed. **
- Central Library located at 298 Cedar Road: Monday-Friday, 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. This office will also be open on Saturday, October 23 & October 30, 2021: 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Dr. Clarence V. Cuffee Community Center located at 2019 Windy Road: Monday-Friday, 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. This office will also be open on Saturday, October 23 & October 30, 2021: 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Greenbrier Library located at 1214 Volvo Parkway: Monday-Friday, 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. This office will also be open on Saturday, October 23 & October 30, 2021: 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Indian River Library located at 2320 Old Greenbrier Road: Monday-Friday, 10:00 AM-4:00 PM. This office will also be open on Saturday, October 23 & October 30, 2021: 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Major Hillard Library located at 824 Old George Washington Hwy, N: Monday-Friday, 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. This office will also be open on Saturday, October 23 & October 30, 2021: 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Russell Memorial Library located at 2808 Taylor Road: Monday-Friday, 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. This office will also be open on Saturday, October 23 & October 30, 2021: 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- The General Registrar's Office located at 411 Cedar Road Chesapeake, VA 23322: Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. This office will also be open on Saturday, October 23 & October 30, 2021: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. and Sunday, October 3: 12 p.m. – 4 p.m.
All above locations will be closed on Monday, October 11 in observance of Columbus Day.
Absentee Ballot Dropboxes will be available the same dates, times, and locations listed above for in-person, early voting. Dropboxes will also be available at all regular polling places on Election Day, November 2, from 6:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.
To vote early in-person, take or do the following:
Starting 45 days before Election Day, visit your local registrar’s office or a satellite voting location in the city to vote early.
You do not have to have a reason or fill out an application to vote early.
At the registrar’s office or satellite voting location, you must provide your name and address and show an acceptable form of ID or sign an ID Confirmation Statement. To view a complete list of acceptable IDs, please visit the Department of Elections Voting In-Person page.
Accessible equipment and/or curbside voting is available upon request.
Remember, the Saturday before Election Day is the last day to vote early.
Apply to Vote Absentee By-Mail
You Can Submit Your "Vote By Mail" Application Form By Mail, Fax, Or Email
Download and complete the Vote by Mail Application Form
Return the completed and signed form to your local registrar's office by mail, fax, or scanned attachment to an email. Contact information for your local general registrar's office is available using the online lookup tool.
After the registrar processes your application, you will receive your ballot in the mail.
Please note: ballots can be mailed out to applicants starting 45 days prior to the relevant election date. Carefully review the instructions to complete and return your ballot to your local registrar by 7:00 p.m. on Election Day.
If you are returning your ballot by-mail, it must be postmarked on or before Election Day and received by your registrar by noon on the third day after the election.
Tips for Vote By Mail Voters
- Apply early! Voters can request an Absentee Ballot Application as early as 12 months before an election. Please allow enough time for your application to be processed and your ballot to be mailed to you. Your voted ballot must be received by your Electoral Board in time to be counted on Election Day.
- Please fill out the form completely. Omissions on your form can jeopardize your ability to vote.
- ONLINE Absentee Ballot Lookup (Virginia State Board of Elections)
- Please do not attempt to vote by mail and vote
in person unless it is Election Day and you have not received your vote by mail
ballot. If you go to your polling place on Election Day
and are marked as having already requested a vote-by-mail ballot:
- If you have your ballot with you, you will be asked to void your vote-by-mail ballot and you will be issued a new ballot to vote.
- If you do not have your ballot with you, you will be asked to vote a provisional ballot in which the Electoral Board will meet the day after the election, verify that an absentee ballot has not already been cast before deciding if your provisional ballot should be counted.
Absentee Ballot Applications
Absentee Ballot Applications are available at:
- Voter Registration Office
411 Cedar Road
Chesapeake, VA 23322