- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
Waste Management Division
HURRICANE DORIAN SERVICE ALERT
Changes to Trash/Bulk/Recycling
Due to the volume of material from Hurricane Dorian, bulk waste collection is still running behind. Bulk waste rules will continue to be suspended this week. Please place your items at the curb and leave them there. They will be collected as quickly as possible. Bulk trash collection will return to normal scheduled operations on Tuesday, Sept. 24. At that time, residents will be required to once again schedule bulk trash pickups by calling (757) 382-CITY, visiting the online service request form, or by using the City's service request mobile app
- Place debris in separate piles (woody debris, building materials, bulk waste, appliances, etc) at the edge of the street. Be careful that limbs and branches do not extend into the roadway. Keep yard waste piles no larger than 4 feet wide by 4 feet high by 6 feet long and all other waste piles no larger than 4 feet wide by 4 feet high by 10 feet long. Bulk waste should be placed as close as possible to the curb or roadside and 3 feet away from any obstructions such as mailboxes, telephone poles, garbage containers, etc. Do not place items underneath overhead wires or tree limbs. Do not block the passage of vehicles, pedestrians or drainage. Household waste and spoiled food should be bagged and placed inside a waste container. Leaves and yard waste must be placed in clear plastic bags. Colored bags will be collected with your household bulk waste. Household hazardous waste may NOT be placed for curbside collection.
The Waste Management Division of the Public Works Department provides refuse collection once every week for over 60,000 residences in Chesapeake. Over 100,000 tons of refuse is collected annually. The City's Solid Waste is transported to the Southeastern Public Service Authority (SPSA) transfer located on Greenbrier Parkway, or the regional Refuse Derived Fuel Facility located in Portsmouth (SPSA facility locations). For waste collection information and services, call your Chesapeake Customer Contact Center at 382-CITY (2489). Chesapeake residents may dispose of residential solid waste at SPSA facilities.
- Rules on Waste Disposal
- Bulk Waste
- Recycling Services
- When is my garbage collection day?
- Sign up for weekly collection day reminders
- Refuse Containers: Request New/Report Damaged
- Blue Recycling Bin Order Form
- Report Missed Trash Collection
- Hazardous Materials
- Holiday Schedule
- Holiday recycling and tree disposal
- Garbage drop off sites
- Tips for a Clean Chesapeake
- Waste Collection Brochure