- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
Engineering and construction services offered by the Public Utilities Department include:
- Assistance regarding the City's water and sanitary sewer system
- Review of plans for all new development projects which impact the utility system
- Assignment of connection fees for all new construction
- Development of City-funded public water and sanitary sewer projects
- Preliminary cost estimates and feasibility studies
- Assistance in the coordination of state highway projects and utility construction or relocation
- Issuance of Northwest River Run-off Control Permits
- Ensures compliance with the Virginia Underground Damage Prevention Act (underground water and sanitary sewer location)
- Administers the state-mandated cross-connection control program for the City
- Maintenance of all utility plans and utility engineering records.
Forms & Policies
|Office Engineering Hours||
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday
|Field Engineering Hours||
7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
Cost Participation Program
The Cost Participation Program (CPP) was initiated to provide the opportunity for neighborhoods without public water and sewer to petition the City for these Services.
Any contractor can get a temporary construction meter. To obtain a temporary construction meter the applicant must complete an application and agreement for the temporary construction meter. A $150 meter installation fee (5/8" meter) must be paid at the time of application. Call 382-6050, or 382-6671.
Backflow Prevention Program
Backflow is the undesirable reversal of flow of non-drinkable water or other substance into the public water system or consumer’s drinking water system. A cross-connection is any connection between a public water system or consumer’s potable water system and non-potable water or other substance. An example is the public water system and a homeowner’s landscape irrigation system. Only through cross-connection controls and backflow prevention can we be assured that other substances are not contaminating our water system.
Chesapeake Public Utilities has an inspection program to ensure these protections are in place in commercial buildings and businesses. Homeowners may purchase devices for their outside hose faucets from hardware stores.
For more information about backflow and cross-connection contact Public Utilities Engineering at 757-382-6671.
Cross Connection Resources
- Effective Cross Connection Control Programs
- Virginia Department of Health Cross Connection Control Regulations
Miss Utility is a statewide program to mark existing underground utilities of all kinds before excavation. This program helps reduce the incidence of accidental cutting of cables, water and sewer lines.
- Before you dig, call 1-800-552-7001, or call 811 in Virginia.
- Check the status of the marking requests by calling 1-800-552-3120.
To identify the colored markings you see on the street or your property, visit the Miss Utility website.
More City Services
For a comprehensive resource for Development, Land Use & Construction in the City of Chesapeake, visit www.cityofchesapeake.net/development.