- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
Question: When can the Aqua Virginia territory residents expect to have City water?
Response: When the closing occurs, the following actions will take place:
- As soon as the closing occurs, we will open connections between the Chesapeake water system and the Indian River Water System. We will stop using the existing wells and treatment system, flush the distribution lines with Chesapeake water, and the residents will start receiving Chesapeake water.
- Soon after the closing occurs, the Indian River Shopping Center will have the ability to connect to the 12" water line on Indian River Road for domestic and fire sprinkler water. Plans for any such connections will have to go through the City's normal plan review process before any work is performed. This plan review can occur prior to closing.
- Fire hydrants will be installed in the area west of Sparrow Road, as this area is served by looped 6" water lines that can provide adequate fire flows once connected to the Chesapeake water system. The City will make its best efforts for this to occur within four months of the closing.
- A construction project will be initiated to make additional connections between the two systems, install water distribution piping, and install additional fire hydrants in the system. The project will provide better looping, flow, and fire protection to the entire system. This project will require detailed engineering design and Virginia Health Department approval. The design for this project is underway. Construction is planned to be conducted simultaneously with the sewer line replacement project that is planned for the eastern portion of the area. The construction could take up to 18 months.