If you’re stressed about the upcoming holiday week, or the impending next few months of short days and cold weather, you’re not alone. Seasonal blues are very common! There are lots of ways you can help keep those negative feelings at bay.
Stick to normal routines. Part of the stress of the holidays is that everything we’re used to gets thrown off balance. Try to make this time of year just like any other time of year, with small adjustments here and there to accommodate the needs of the season.
Use the 80/20 rule for eating and drinking. Eat and drink healthily 80% of the time. Use the other 20% to enjoy all those holiday treats you look forward to each year - with 0% guilt.
Get outside. Take advantage of daylight hours or buy some reflective gear and flashlights and bundle up so that you can be outside any time of day. Fresh air will make all the difference.
Say no! You cannot do it all. It’s okay to say no to holiday events, cookie baking, family get-togethers, and anything that brings you more stress than it’s worth. Just be careful not to isolate yourself.
If you need help, don’t hesitate. Having someone to talk to can work wonders. Call the National Helpline at 1-800-622-HELP (4357) or visiting the Chesapeake Integrated Behavioral Healthcare webpages at CityofChesapeake.net/CIBH to find a treatment provider that works for you.