- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
Information on Employing Off-Duty Police Officers
Chesapeake Police Officers may work while off-duty for the following types of work, which involve law enforcement duties:
- As a visible presence to deter unlawful acts and/or to maintain order.
- As security and/or theft prevention.
- As traffic control and/or direction.
During off-duty employment, Police Officers:
- Must be in uniform at all times.
- Are directed by their law enforcement powers, which are governed by state code, city ordinance, city regulations and police department policy & procedures, and cannot be limited by a private employer.
- Do not have the authority to enforce private employer's rules and regulations.
- Cannot perform non-law enforcement tacks, such as retrieving grocery carts, stacking shelves, etc.
The private employer hiring off-duty officers:
- May be a business, organization, community or individual person.
- Must pay the officers directly as no money is exchanged through the police department.
- Must complete and submit the Off-Duty Employer Agreement within sufficient time for it to be reviewed and approved before off-duty police officers can begin any work. The Off-Duty Employer Agreement includes additional information and acknowledgements beyond what is listed on this page.
- Must provide any equipment or training needed for officers to safely and reasonably perform this off-duty employment, which is not issued or provided by the Chesapeake Police Department
Information on Pay Rate
Based on the off-duty employment work and the scale of the work, the private employer may need a police officer, a police supervisor, or a combination of police officers and/or police supervisors. If uncertain, we can assist in determining your needs. The current hourly rates for off-duty employment are:
- Off-Duty Police Officer - $40 per hour with a 4 hour minimum
- Off-Duty Police Supervisor - $47 per hour with a 4 hour Minimum
How do I request to hire Off-Duty Officers
Requests for employment of off-duty police officers or off-duty police supervisors are made through the Chesapeake Police Department's Special Operations Section under the Traffic Enforcement Unit, which may be contacted by telephone at 757-382-6448 or by email at TES@CityofChesapeake.net
Download the Off-Duty Employer's Agreement.