- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
Join the Chesapeake Police Department!
COVID-19 Update 6/18/20:
We're actively processing applicants.
NOW HIRING! Apply Online!
1. Police Officer Trainee
(Next Police Academy is expected to start January 2021)
Review information below for details on how to apply online.
2. Police Officer (Experienced VA Police Officers)*
Are YOU Professional Enough & Do YOU Care Enough?
Serve "The City that Cares", Join the Chesapeake Police Department!
Do you have what it takes?
A deep sense of integrity and determination, stamina and intelligence, dedication to protecting the public, and the desire to make a difference in the lives of many are just the beginning.
We are looking for men and women who thrive on challenges and pride themselves in serving others, and are willing to work hard to learn the necessary skills for this challenging but critical role. Becoming a police officer can be a tough, demanding and unpredictable job, but it is also one of the most rewarding positions you will ever have. Every day that you wear your uniform and badge, you will be making the City of Chesapeake a safer and better place to live for you, your family, your friends and your neighbors. Nothing is more valuable than that.
Here are some of the basic eligibility requirements for Police Officer and Police Officer Trainee candidates:
- Must be a United States citizen.
- Must be 21 years of age upon graduation from the academy (may apply at 20+ years of age).
- Must have a high school diploma or GED certificate.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
An extensive background investigation will be conducted. The discovery of any one of the factors below, at any time during the application process, shall automatically disqualify a candidate from continuing in the application process.
DO NOT APPLY TO THIS POSITION IF YOU MEET ANY OF THESE
Disqualifying factors include, but are not limited to, the following, from the date of application:
Suspensions or revocations for other than administrative reasons (i.e. failure to pay fine, insurance, monitoring, failure to pay child support) within the past 24 months
Convictions of driving while intoxicated with, or under the influence of, alcohol or drugs within the past 36 months;
Convictions of reckless driving within the past 36 months
Convictions of speeding 20 miles per hour or more within the past 12 months
Declaration, determination or adjudication as Habitual Offender until two years after driving privileges have been restored
More than two convictions involving any moving violation within the last 12 months
Convicted of, pled guilty to, or no contest to any felony.
Convicted of, pled guilty to, or no contest to a misdemeanor involving acts of moral turpitude (lying, cheating, stealing).
Convicted of, pled guilty to, or no contest to a Misdemeanor Sex Offense.
Convicted of, pled guilty to, or no contest to Domestic Assault.
Conviction of possession, manufacture, and/or distribution of illegal drugs.
Use of Cocaine, LSD, PCP, or any type of hallucinogenic drug within the last five (5) years
Use of Marijuana within the last three (3) years
Other Than Honorable; General; Dishonorable discharges from any military service. Uncharacterized discharges will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.Candidates discharged for “conduct” reasons will not be considered.
Untruthfulness or the withholding of pertinent information during any phase of the application process (e.g. application, interview, paperwork).
Cheating on any examination or testing associated with the process.
$42,008* (while attending the Chesapeake Law Enforcement Training Academy)
Upon successful completion of the approx. 7 month Chesapeake Law Enforcement Training Academy:
$44,326* for possessing a High School Diploma or GED, or
$44,926* for possessing an Associate's Degree, or
$45,226* for possessing a Bachelor's Degree
(*subject to change)
- Take-Home Car Program
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Uniforms and Equipment Provided
- Free Access to Private CPD Fitness Centers
- Paid Specialized Training Opportunities
- Uniforms & Clothing Allowance
- Military Leave
- Merit Increases
- Automatic City Employee Benefits, including:
- Virginia Retirement System Plan,
- Life Insurance,
- Disability Insurance,
- Long Term Care Insurance,
- Paid Time Off
- Optional City Employee Benefits, including:
- Deferred Compensation,
- Health Insurance,
- Dental Insurance,
- Vision Insurance,
- Flexible Spending Accounts,
- Additional Optional Long Term Care Insurance,
- Legal Service Plan,
- Additional Optional Life Insurance
- And More! , including:
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP),
- Funeral Leave,
- In-house Training Program,
- Public Service Leave,
- Wellness Program
One of the notable aspects of the Chesapeake Police Department is the diversity of our career paths. From crime scene investigation to community policing, from K-9 to marine law enforcement, from narcotics to forensics, the Chesapeake Police Department has a career path that is sure to fit your skills and interests.
- Uniform Patrol
- Honor Guard Unit
- Traffic Enforcement Officer
- Criminal Investigation's Detective
- Crime Prevention Specialist
- K-9 Unit Officer
- Vice and Narcotics Unit Detective
- Warrant Unit
- Property and Evidence Officer
- Intelligence Unit / Gang Unit
- Training Academy Staff
- Marine Patrol Unit
- SWAT Officer
- School Resource Officer
- Under Water Search & Recovery Team
- Police Explorers Advisor
- Polygraph Examiner
- Career Development Program
- Senior Police Officer
- Master Police Officer
- Field Training Officer
- And More!
Generally, after a minimum of two to three years as a Chesapeake Police Officer, you may be eligible to apply to various specialty units when vacancies are available.
How to Apply
NOTE: BOTH the online application & Personal History Statement are required to apply for this position. Failure to submit both will result in disqualification from the hiring process.
- Go to the City of Chesapeake's Department of Human Resources website known as "CLICK"
- Log in and search for the job posting for "Police Officer Trainee".
- New Users must make a profile then apply for the Police Officer Trainee position.
- When your application is submitted successfully you will receive an automated confirmation email with a confirmation number. Immediately move on to complete step 2.
If you need assistance filling out the online application or have any questions in regards to the online application process please call Human Resources at 757-382-6492.
SUBMIT PERSONAL HISTORY STATEMENT (PHS): Download, complete and submit within 14 calendar days!
Your PHS must be submitted after applying online within 14 calendar days of submitting your online application.
It is strongly encouraged that you begin filling out this form as soon as possible in preparation as it is lengthy and requires a significant amount of detailed information. Do not leave any information out. Omissions and untruthful responses will result in your disqualification.
You must have pages 18 & 22 of the PHS packet signed and notarized. A notary must witness you sign the form. Do not sign it yourself until you are with the notary (This must be done prior to the delivery of your PHS. This notary service will NOT be available at the Police Department.)
Local Notary Resource Links:
*Note: This is just a list of local notary resources via google.com search -you are not limited to utilizing the ones listed. Your PHS may be notarized in other cities/counties and out of state.
Select one of two ways to submit your Personal History Statement.
- CERTIFIED MAIL: Your PHS must be completed, notarized & mailed, via certified mail, within 14 calendar days of submitting your online application.
ATTENTION: BACKGROUND INVESTIGATIONS UNIT
CHESAPEAKE POLICE DEPARTMENT
304 ALBEMARLE DRIVE
CHESAPEAKE, VA 23322
- Hand deliver your PHS directly to the Chesapeake Public Safety Building (Chesapeake Police Headquarters) located at 304 Albemarle Drive; Chesapeake, VA 23322. This option is available 24/7 via secure drop box inside lobby.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATIONS UNIT REVIEWS PERSONAL HISTORY STATEMENT TO CONFIRM ELIGIBILITY.
- If your PHS passes the initial review, you will be invited via email to complete the Physical Ability Test within 30 days of applying. The invitation will come from eventbrite.com and you will be required to select and register online for the date that you will complete the Physical Ability Test.
COMPLETE PHYSICAL ABILITY TESTING.
- PHYSICAL ABILITY COURSE:
The test will consist of a timed 150-yard course that will measure stamina and cardiovascular fitness in the completion of various job related physical skills. The test simulates chasing a single suspect on foot, and encountering circumstances that could arise during the foot pursuit. All obstacles must be successfully completed within 1:30 minutes or less.
- PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE TEST:
After you successfully complete the Physical Ability Course, you will then be required to successfully pass the Physical Performance Test, on the same day, which consists of:
(M=Male / F=Female)
V-Sit & Reach M 19 / F 22 centimeters or more.
300 Meter Sprint M 83 / F 110 seconds or less.
Sit Ups M 30 /F 19 or more in 60 seconds.
Push Ups M 25 / F 8 or more (no time limit).
1.5 Mile Run M 15:28 / F 18:36 minutes or less.
Phases of the Hiring Process:
- Submit online application on Jobs.cityofchesapeake.net
- Submit Personal History Statement (PHS) to Background Investigations Unit via certified mail or hand delivery to the Chesapeake Public Safety Building (Chesapeake Police Headquarters)
- PHS is reviewed by Background Investigations Unit to confirm eligibility. If you are not eligible for further consideration, you will be notified by email.
- Physical Ability Test (PAT) -All eligible applicants will receive an invitation, via email, to successfully complete the PAT at the Chesapeake Law Enforcement Training Center (CLETA)
- Background Investigation Phase -A thorough background investigation will be conducted on each applicant selected to continue in the application process; this will include a personal interview with a Background Investigator
- Personality Profile Suitability Phase:
- Online Personal History Questionnaire completed by each applicant
- Personality Profile Written Exam (LESI) -taken at Police Department.
- Formal Panel Interview & Personal Interview with Police Command Staff
- Applicant photographed & fingerprinted at CPD Headquarters
- Chiefs Selection -the Chief of Police will select which eligible applicants will receive further consideration for hire. -Applicants are not present.
- Conditional Offer Of Employment presented to those selected applicants. -If you are not selected for further consideration, you will receive notification by email.
- Polygraph Exam
- Drug/Alcohol Screening
- Psychological/Mental Health Evaluation
- MMPI -2RF Written Test
- Video Interview with Psychologist at Police Department.
- Fit for Duty Exam/Physical Evaluation
- Payroll Meeting
- Academy Start Date- New Employee Orientation
For more information:
- Click here for: CPD Recruiting Events List
- Click here for: CPD Recruiting FAQ's
- Contact our Recruiting Unit: E-mail: CPDrecruiting@cityofchesapeake.net Call/Text: 757-647-8458
- Visit our Facebook page: @ChesapeakeVAPolice
- Contact our Background Investigations Unit: Email: CPDbackgroundinvest@cityofchesapeake.net
Are Y0U Professional Enough & Do Y0U Care Enough?
Serve "The City that Cares", Join the Chesapeake Police Department!