- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
Flood Maps and Floodplain Ordinances
- Reading a Flood Map
- Find Your FEMA Issued Flood Map by agreeing to the disclaimer, entering the property address (with City at the end) in the "Find an Address" box at the bottom right, and selecting "Zoom to" on the map once the property is located.
- FEMA Insurance Fact Sheet is a reference on how to buy insurance.
- Floodsmart.gov is the official site of the NFIP and can assist you with determining your flood zone or answer all of your questions regarding flood insurance.
Ordinances related to flooding:
The City of Chesapeake has recently adopted a new Floodplain Management Ordinance. This Ordinance, required by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), regulates development within the 100 Year (AE) and 500 Year (X) Flood Zones. The City hopes to achieve three goals by adopting the newly enhanced ordinance: reducing flood insurance rates for citizens who build in accordance with the proposed standards; entering a FEMA program where certain City actions and activities are rewarded with a reduction in flood insurance premiums for all Chesapeake residents; and improving safety features in order to protect buildings, properties, and citizens within flood zones.
Definitions that may be helpful include:
|Flood Zone||areas identified as an AE Zone on the Flood Insurance Rate Maps for which the 100-year flood elevations have been provided Read more information|
|Finished Floor||a floor that can be inhabited, not a storage area like a garage|
|Base Flood Elevation||a height of 8.5 feet above sea level; any land under this level is part of the 100 Year Flood Zone Read more information|
|Substantial Improvement||any reconstruction, rehabilitation, addition, or improvement to a structure, the cost of which equals or exceeds 50 percent of the market value of the structure before the start of construction of the improvement Read more information|
|Critical Infrastructure||things like government facilities, hazardous materials facilities, hospitals, power plants, transportation facilities (not to include local streets and roads), etc. Read more information|
| Contact the Chesapeake Department of Development & Permits
by calling 757-382-6101 with any questions that you may have regarding the ordinance.
For questions about the National Flood Insurance Program, call 1-888-379-9531.