- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Street Closure Petition
What is a Street Closure Petition?
A street closure petition is required when an owner of property located adjacent to a street or other public right-of-way seeks to close the street or other public right-of-way and convert it to private property.
Application Deadline is the 4th Monday of the month by 5 p.m.
Planning Commission Public Hearing Schedule
Please read the Public Hearing Application Review Process overview and Instructions prior to submitting an application.
Preparation for Online Application Submittal
- Street Address of the Property or (Tax) Parcel Number
- Project Name (ex. Smith Tract)
- Legal Description, Deed Book and Map Book if available
- Electronic Site Plan, drawn to scale, ready to upload as a PDF
- Notarized signatures from all affected property owners, Print, Sign, Notarize, & Scan, ready to upload.
- Title Certification indicating fee simple ownership of Right-of-Way
- Acceptable Filing Fee payment method readily available (credit cards or eCheck/linked bank account)
After Online Application Submittal
- Deliver all Original Notarized Documents to the Planning Department at the time of scheduled Application Review Committee (ARC) meeting.
- Pay Sign Fee when invoiced and Post Sign(s)
The Planning Department will supply these two Wednesdays prior to the Planning Commission Public Hearing, you will receive a call for pick-up. Sign fees are $25 for first sign and $20 for each additional sign
- Pay Advertising Fees when billed
The average advertising cost is $100 per advertisement, depending on the number of applicants on each agenda and the length of the advertisement, for the Planning Commission and the City Council public hearing meetings. The project will require a minimum of four (4) advertisements. Any additional advertising costs incurred due to continuances or revised proffer statements will also be the responsibility of the applicant. Planning Commission advertisement fees will be billed by the City of Chesapeake. City Council advertisement fees will be billed by The Virginian Pilot.
- Following the Planning Commission Public Hearing, the Street Closure Purchase Agreement must be signed prior to City Council or it will result in a continuance.