- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- Property Information
Vacation of Property Lines
What is a Vacation of Property Lines?
The City of Chesapeake Zoning Ordinance, Article 19-201(B), requires property owners that propose to combine two or more lots of record into one development site to vacate the interior lot lines to produce a single lot.
What is the procedure to vacate interior lot lines?
- Virginia State Code authorizes the vacation of property lines with the recordation of a deed. At the request of the property owner, an attorney hired by the property owner prepares the deed vacating the property line.
- The Planning Department will review the deed as to form. Review will be on a first come, first serve basis, but should take no longer than one (1) week. The Planning Department will contact the applicant informing him or her that the deed is available for pick-up.
- Copies the deed are made for record keeping purposes. The original deed with original signatures will be provide to the applicant for recordation in the Circuit Court Clerk's Office. The applicant is responsible for all recordation fees paid to the Clerk of the Circuit Court
Planning Department review is approximately seven (7) days.
The recording fee of the Clerk of the Circuit Court Office is $16.00 per sheet.