IT Mashup, a series of articles on topics in Information Technology, is designed for you. And if you’re enthusiastic about emerging trends and technologies in IT then IT Mashup is most definitely designed for you too.
- Spotlights City employees who are using IT in creative and innovative ways
- Provides practical tips, solutions, and tutorials that may be useful in your service to the City
- Highlights how the IT Department is improving city operations
- Explores and review various tech products like tablets, keyboards, cameras, phones, etc.
- Discusses technology news and trends
If you have questions, ideas for articles, or are interested in becoming a guest columnist, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is Information Technology?
Did you know that Information Technology has been around since 3500
B.C? The first Information Technology revolution was sparked more than
5,000 years ago with the invention of writing by the ancient Sumerians
in Mesopotamia. When humans began to store, retrieve, transmit, and
manipulate data through writing, their world flourished and expanded.
The ability to communicate across distance facilitated trade and the
growth of civilizations. The capacity to communicate across time
enabled the transmission of knowledge and culture for future generations
to build upon.
In a nutshell, that’s all Information Technology is—the use of
technologies like writing and computers to store information, retrieve
information, share information, and manipulate information so that we
can more efficiently connect, solve problems, share experiences, and
invent new, exciting ways to develop our world.