- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
Portable Storage Containers (MOD's, POD's, Dumpsters, etc.)
|Phone: 757-382-6018||Fax: 757-382-6793||Email: email@example.com|
|Address: 306 Cedar Road, City Hall 2nd Floor, Chesapeake, VA 23322|
|To report a possible violation, you can contact 757-382-CITY (2489) or Request a City Service online.|
PORTABLE STORAGE CONTAINERS are defined as either:
- Containers no larger in dimension than 8 ft x 8 ft 6 in x 16 ft and transported to a designated location for storage purposes (typically known as PODS, MODS, etc.). If such a container is not transported to a designated location for storage or disposal within 16 days, the container shall be considered a “container” and the use and placement of the container must comply with the criteria set out in section 13-402.A-C of the Chesapeake Zoning Ordinance.
- Containers designed or used on property zoned or used for residential property for the collection and hauling of waste or debris, including but not limited to roll-off containers or boxes and bin containers (dumpsters).
- Non self-propelled, fully enclosed trailers that are designed or used to transport goods, materials and equipment and are placed on property zoned or used for residential purposes (semi-trailers).
Portable storage containers may be placed on property zoned or used for single-family or two-family residential purposes upon compliance with all of the following:
- No more than two (2) portable storage containers shall be located on a single lot or parcel of land.
- No other type of container or shipping container is located on the same lot or parcel of land.
- Portable storage containers shall not be used to store or transport nonresidential materials and substances, including but not limited to the following: contractors' materials and equipment, solid waste, hazardous materials, explosives and unlawful substances and materials.
- Portable storage containers shall not remain on lots or parcels of land longer than sixteen (16) consecutive calendar days and no more than sixteen (16) calendar days per calendar year. A Notification to the City is required. The owner of each portable storage container and the owner or occupant of a lot or parcel on which a portable storage container will be placed shall be jointly responsible for providing notice to the Zoning Administrator within twenty-four (24) hours of the placement. This is accomplished by either calling the Customer Contact Center at 382-2489 (382-CITY) and completing a Service Request, or by completing a Service Request for a “Portable Storage Container” online at cityofchesapeake.net.
The zoning administrator may approve an extension by issuing a zoning permit up to seventy four (74) days beyond the initial sixteen (16) days, upon determining all of the following:
- That a principal residential structure is damaged or dilapidated.
- That the residential structure will undergo renovation, repair or reconstruction during the extension.
- That a building permit has been issued for the renovation, repair or reconstruction, if required, and remains valid during the extension.
- That the portable storage container will not be used to store nonresidential materials and equipment such as contractor's materials and equipment during the extension.
- The owner or occupant of the residential lot or parcel on which the portable storage container will be used obtains a permit. Permit can be obtained at Zoning Administration, second floor, City Hall Building, 306 Cedar Road. Total fees for the permit are $30.00. (The portable storage container is removed within ten (10) days once the permitted work is completed).
Portable storage containers shall comply with the following setbacks:
- If a portable storage container is placed in the required front yard, then the portable storage container shall be located only in the area primarily used for vehicular ingress and egress and must have a ten (10) feet setback from the edge of the curb. If no curb exists, the portable storage container shall have a ten (10) feet setback from the edge of the pavement.
- If a portable storage container is placed in the required rear or side yard, no setback shall be required except that no portable storage container shall encroach upon adjacent property.
Portable Storage Containers placed on property not zoned or used for single-family or two-family residential purposes are considered “CONTAINERS”, and follow other regulations.
Revised 5/6/11 AR