- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
New Residential Building Construction Permits
- Land Disturbing Permit **
- Mechanics Lien Agent (if desired)
- Commonwealth of Virginia Contractor’s License
- City of Chesapeake Business License
(if the contract value is more than $25,000.00)
The following fees must be paid at the time of permit issuance:
- The minimum fee is $40.00.
The permit fee is based upon square footage of the structure. The minimum fee is an administrative fee of $40.00 for issuing each permit, plus an additional $6.00 per 100 square feet or fraction thereof.
- Land Disturber Registration fee is $30.00 (for new construction only)
- Zoning Review of residential plans, the fee is $10.00
- City Water Fee (Part II Code of Ordinances - Chapter 78 Utilities - Article IV Rates, Charges and Fees - Section 78-86)
- City Sewer Fee (Part II Code of Ordinances - Chapter 78 Utilities - Article IV Rates, Charges and Fees - Section 78-86)
- Certificate of Occupancy fee - $30.00 will be included to the building permit fee.
- Driveway permit fee (if applicable) is $30.00
- 2 % state levy is assessed to each fee by the State of Virginia excluding City water and sewer fees
- Technology Fee is $5.00
- Hampton Road Sanitary Disposal (HRSD) fee is $1,895 and will be paid separately from other fees.
- Residential Fee Schedule
- Plan Review Fee Schedule
For example: A new residential construction project with 2200 square footage, the fee will be:
2200 ÷ 100 = 22
22 x 6 = $132.00 + $40.00 (administrative fee) = base fee $172.00.
- Electrical Permit or Online Permits
- Plumbing Permit or Online Permits
- Mechanical and Gas Permit or Online Permits