- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- Property Information
Procedures for Electrical Permit
At the request of Dominion Virginia Power, the Department of Development & Permits implemented a new requirement that will better serve the needs of our collective customers. All electrical permits issued that involve new and/or changes to an electrical service (anything that must be released to Dominion Virginia Power) will require that a Work Request Number (7 numerical digits) be included on the electrical permit application. Click here for printable instruction pamphlet.
To obtain this Work Request Number, please follow the steps outlined below:
- Building more than 5 houses per year - Apply on the Dominion website (www.dom.com). Link is "eBuilder Services" for Permanent and Temporary Service Work Requests only. We greatly encourage this method of contact.
- Building less than 5 houses per year - Call Dominion at 1-888-569-5700 for Permanent and Temporary Service Work Requests or if a builder, you can use Dominion website as listed above.
Residential Service Change or Service Upgrade
- Call Dominion at 1-888-667-3000
- Stay on the line for a customer service representative
- Call Dominion at 1-888-569-5700
PRINT INSTRUCTIONS - pdf format
From the Department of Development & Permits website, click on the Permit Applications link or from the City's homepage right navigation, click on Permit Applications, and complete your permit application, have your fee calculated, and print the form.
Our two agencies (Chesapeake Department of Development & Permits and Dominion Virginia Power) strongly believe that the requirement of a Work Request Number on the permit application will improve customer service for your project. It will provide advance information to Dominion Virginia Power of future work, allow their workforces to plan appropriately to serve your needs.Please contact us with any questions you may have regarding this matter at 757-382-6018 or 8424.