- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
New Commercial Building Construction Permits
City of Chesapeake
Department of Development & Permits
City Hall 2nd Floor
306 Cedar Road
Chesapeake, VA 23322
Hours: Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Phone: 757-382-6018 757-382-8424 757-382-6890
A building permit application will be processed by a Building Official. To begin the permit process, bring the following documents:
- Approved final site plan from Development & Permits/Development Engineering
- Virginia State Contractor's License
- Note: Out-of-state contractor must obtain a valid State of Virginia Contractor's License.
- For questions concerning the state license requirements, please contact the State of Virginia, Department of Professional Occupational Regulations, 804-367-8511
- City of Chesapeake Business License
- The Commissioner of the Revenue for the City of Chesapeake requires a city business license for a contractor whose business is based in the City of Chesapeake
- Out-of-state contractors must obtain a City of Chesapeake Business License
- Other Virginia municipality city business license is recognized until the threshold of contract value work conducted in Chesapeake accumulates to $25,000.00 in a calendar year; when this contract value is reached, a Chesapeake City Business License is required.
Upon the arrival at the Department of Development & Permits, a Senior Code Compliance Inspector will issue a permit application after conducting a zoning review. You will visit the Development Construction Division on the 3rd floor of City Hall for a Land Disturbance Permit and bonding requirements and payments. Next, you will make payments for water, sewer and HRSD in the Department of Public Utilities. After payment to Development Construction and Public Utilities, you will return to the Department of Development & Permits for building permit issuance from the building official.
- The minimum fee is $40.00.
The permit fee is based upon square footage of the structure. The minimum fee is an administrative fee of $40.00 for issuing each permit, plus an additional $10.00 per 100 square feet or fraction thereof.
For example: For a new commercial building with 14,000 square feet, the fee will be:
14,000/100 = 140
140 x 10 = $1,400
+ $40.00 (administrative fee) = base fee $1,440.00
- New Commercial Fee Schedule
- Additionally, the plan review fee Plan Review Fees and a 2% state levy are assessed to the permit cost plus a $5.00 technology fee.
Base fee $1,440.00
+ $30.00 Certificate of Occupancy = $1,470.00
+ $350.00 plan review fee = $1,820.00
+ $36.40 (2% State Levy) = $1,856.40
+ $ 5.00 technology fee = $1,861.40
After obtaining the building permit, the electrical, plumbing, mechanical and gas (if applicable) permits are required.
- Electrical Permit or Online Electrical Permit
New procedures 3/5/07
- Plumbing Permit or Online Plumbing Permit
- Mechanical and Gas Permit or Online Gas Permit and Mechanical Permits