- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
Building a Deck
- Survey Site Plan of the Property
- Deck Foundation and Framing Plan
- Deck Cross Section Plan
- Joist & Beams
- Building Permit Application
STEP 1: ZONING APPROVAL
The Code Compliance Inspector will review and approve your survey site plan. The location of your deck must be shown on the site plan. Upon approval of the site plan, the Code Compliance Inspector will process an application for the next step.
STEP 2: BUILDING PLAN APPROVAL AND REQUIREMENTS
The Building Inspector will review the building application and deck plans (Deck Foundation and Framing Plan, Deck Cross Section Plan, and Joist & Beam sizes and spacing elevations).
Please provide two (2) sets of plans drawn to scale, showing all Joist and Beam sizes, cross sections and all typical connection details, stair and guardrail details. If you need assistance, you may also use the Deck Cross Section Plan, Deck Foundation and Framing Plan, and Joist and Beam drawings provided by the Department of Development and Permits.
STEP 3: BUILDING PERMIT ISSUANCE
- Obtain building permit or permits after your plans are approved.
- If the plans are rejected, revise the plans and resubmit them for re-review.
- If the permit applicant is a homeowner, the owner is responsible for the work performed.
- If the permit applicant is a contractor, the contractor is responsible for the work performed and must provide a copy of his or her State Contractor's License and a City of Chesapeake Business License, if applicable.
- Pay for permits based on the fee schedule.
$40.00 + $6.00 per 100 square feet
Example:Dimension of the deck 10' x 20' = 200 sq. ft.
Calculation of Permit Fee:200 sq. ft./100 ft. = 2
2 x $6.00 per 100 sq. ft = $12.00
+ $40.00 = $52.00
+ Plan Review Fee $15.00 = $67.00
+ 2% State Levy ($1.34) = $68.34
+ $5.00 Technology Fee = $73.34
Total Permit Fee: $73.34
STEP 4: INSPECTION STEPS AND PROCEDURES
- Post your permit in a location that can be seen by the building inspector from the road in front of the house.
- Online inspection request or call 757-382-CITY (2489) to request an inspection.
- You must have an inspection of the hole for the footing before the concrete is poured.
- If approved, start the construction of the deck. If disapproved, you must correct the deficiencies and call for another inspection.
- Call for a final inspection when the deck is complete.
Resources: Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide