- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
Plan Approval for New Commercial Building Construction
Where should I start to process a new commercial construction project?
You must determine the type of business and location, then contact the zoning officer in the Department of Development & Permits to ensure the proposed use is a permitted use or conditional use.
The following plans should be submitted to the appropriate departments:
- Site Plans – Preliminary, Department of Planning, 306 Cedar Road, City Hall, 2nd floor, Chesapeake, VA 23322; Phone – 757-382-6176
- Site Plans – Final (land disturbance, entrance permit); for questions concerning off-street entrance requirement, land disturbing permits or site plan requirements, please contact the Department of Development & Permits, Development Engineering Division at 757-382-6101
- Contact Public Utilities for Water and Sewer availability and fees.
You may submit your building plans to the Plans Reviewer in the Department of Development & Permits at any time prior to the site plan approval.
The following are plan review requirements based upon the 2012 International Building Code:
- Submittal letter (cover letter) from Architect or Engineer.
- One complete set of building plans including a site plan showing the building location and finished floor elevations
Information required on building construction plans.
- A title block on the cover sheet or front page which includes:
- The design code used and the edition of the code
- Use Group
- Type of Construction
- List of all installed Fire Protection features
- Code design options
- Identify if the building is sprinklers
- Square footage of building & rooms; occupant load total
- Building plans, stamped, signed and sealed by the architect or designer shall include:
- All appropriate wall, floor and foundation sections
- Complete door schedule with catalog cuts for all doors and hardware (including locksets)
- Complete interior finish schedule with flame spread rating
- List of all rated assemblies (include a diagram of assembly and design number) & penetration number
- Details showing all handicapped requirements with compliance with ICC/ANSI - A117.1, 2003 Edition
- Electrical plans (show
locationof all exit and means of egress lighting.)
- Plumbing plans with riser diagrams of waste and vent piping and size of piping
- Mechanical plans showing equipment sizes and ductwork and locations
- Complete information for all special occupancy requirements (hazardous uses, high rise, and covered mall)
- Statement of Special Inspections (2012 Version)
- Geo Tech/Soil Report
- Calculations showing compliance with the Model Energy Code, 2012 Edition
Normally, plan review will take a minimum of 30 days and is on a first-come-first-serve basis. Please utilize this information when planning your project and plan review timeline.
If your plan is disapproved, the Plans Examiner will send a plan review letter requesting revisions, corrections and/or additional information necessary to complete the review process. After your plan is approved, the Plans Examiner will notify you that a permit application may be obtained.