- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
First District Court Services Unit, Department of Juvenile Justice
|Phone: 757-382-8150||Fax: 757-382-8202|
|Address: 301 Albemarle Drive, Chesapeake, VA 23320|
The First District Court Service Unit enhances the public safety of the Commonwealth and Chesapeake by providing the investigatory and enforcement functions for the Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court. We are responsible for the following:
- File initial complaints for the J&DR Court;
- Investigate all juvenile and adult cases assigned;
- Enforce the dispositional orders of the Court; and
- Counsel with all cases before the Court for the purposes of rehabilitation, case management, and the protection of the community.
We provide information and referrals to citizens who seek helpful information in dealing with children outside of the court process, to the extent possible. We also provide assistance to adults who may be victims of abuse in their family relationships.
The office hours for Probation/Parole staff are from 8:15 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Intake is open from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. The office is closed for all state and federal holidays.
In the event of an emergency situation after office hours or during a weekend/holiday; please call the police dispatcher at 757-382-6161 for assistance.
What You Will Need When You Come to Intake:
To file a petition requesting determination of custody, paternity:
- Child's name, address, phone, date of birth, Social Security Number (if available)
- Name, address, phone of both parents and/or guardians, Social Security Numbers (if available)
To file a petition for support or a protective order:
- Name, address, phone, work address, and Social Security Number of both parties
- Child's name, address, date of birth, and Social Security Number (if available)
To file a petition alleging a delinquent juvenile act:
- Juvenile's name, address, date of birth, and Social Security Number (if available)
- Name, address, and phone of both parents and/or guardians
- Names and addresses of witnesses
- Be prepared to provide the Intake Officer with detailed information regarding the date, location and nature of the offense alleged
As of July 1, 2003, pursuant to the Code of Virginia §16.1-69.48:5, filing fees of $25.00 per petition will apply to petitions for custody, visitation and relief of custody filed by a guardian (not parent). These fees must be satisfied before a petition can be set on the court's docket.