- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
Any person wishing to get married in the Commonwealth of Virginia must obtain a marriage license. Every license for a marriage shall be issued by the Clerk or deputy clerk of a circuit court of any county or city. If neither the Clerk nor his/her deputy is able to issue the license, it may be issued by the judge of the circuit court of such county or city. By statute, a marriage license is an essential prerequisite to the lawful solemnization of the marriage. Va. Code § 20-13.
After obtaining the license, the couple, to be legally married, must go before someone officially authorized to perform religious or civil marriage ceremonies. After the ceremony is performed, the person performing the marriage has certain legal duties in completing the marriage license and returning it to the issuing Clerk, who, in turn has the legal responsibilities as to recording the license and providing a copy to the Registrar of Vital Statistics.
To obtain a marriage license, the couple must meet certain legal requirements. Any person, age eighteen (18) or older, who is not legally married, incompetent, or related to each other to a prohibited degree [Va. Code § 20-45.1], may obtain a marriage license.
Note: Incompetency is a legal determination and no medical evidence is required.
Marriage Licenses – details, fees & certified copies
- A marriage license can be obtained at any Circuit Court regardless of ones county or city of residence.
- To obtain a license in Chesapeake, both parties must appear in the Circuit Court Clerk's Office, 307 Albemarle Dr., Suite 300A, located in the Municipal Center in Great Bridge, between the hours of 8:30 a.m to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. The phone number for the Chesapeake Clerk's Office is 757-382-3000.
- You may use our online marriage license application to kick off the process before your appearance. Please note: Your marriage license must be claimed at the Clerk’s Office within ten calendar days.
- The fee for the license is $30.00 (cash only).
- Waiting period, blood test, witnesses, divorce papers or death certificate is not necessary.
- The license must be used within 60 days of issue in the state of Virginia.
- Certified copies of marriage license are $2.50 and may be obtained from the Clerk's Office in the Circuit Court.
Chesapeake has marriage commissioners who perform civil ceremonies. They are:
- Michael Brown – 757-449-8651
- Phyllis Hamric – 757-547-2968
- Mary Harkness – 757-547-5680
- Hugo A. Owens, Jr. – 757-724-9612 (best) or 757-410-0029
Performing One-Time Civil Marriage Ceremony
- Requirements & Process for "One-Time" Civil Ceremony Authorization
includes "Petition to Perform One-Time Civil Marriage Ceremony"