- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
The Clerk of Court has presented a general overview of procedural information. For review of a specific statute in its entirety, please refer to the Code of Virginia.
Virginia Code Sections 18.2-308.02 and 06
Requirements & Procedure
- Must be a resident of Chesapeake; And
- 21 years of age or older; And
- Proof of handgun safety course; Or
- Previously issued concealed weapon permit; Or
- Valid Virginia hunting license; Or
- Proof of service in the military
- (retired military must provide a copy of their DD214)
Fees & Costs
$50.00 Fee – Cash, Check, Visa or Mastercard*
Make checks payable to Clerk of the Circuit Court
*Please note a 2% convenience fee will be added to your total if you choose to use a credit/debit card
Apply between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.
(The application is available on the Virginia State Police Forms & Publications website.)
Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the Clerk of the Circuit Court of the County or City in which he or she resides, or if he is a member of the United States Armed Forces, the County or City in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun. All pages of the completed application (attach a separate listing of all addresses within the last 5 year period), copy of driver’s license or state issued ID with your current Chesapeake address, and copy of proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun (a copy of your current or expired permit can also be used to demonstrate competency) must be submitted to the Clerk’s Office. There is no requirement as to the length of time an applicant for a Concealed Handgun Permit must have been a resident or domiciliary of the County or City where he or she resides.
PERMIT IS VALID FOR 5 YEARS
- NOTE ON RENEWALS: For renewals, apply 45 days BEFORE expiration date. *Out-of-state applicants must apply with State Police.
*OUT-OF-STATE APPLICANTS APPLY WITH STATE POLICE*
Any other questions, refer to the CODE OF VIRGINIA 18.2-308.
Alan P. Krasnoff, Clerk
Chesapeake Circuit Court