- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
Holiday Schedule and Inclement Weather
Rules of the Chesapeake Circuit Court, Rule 2: In accordance with the provisions of Virginia Code § 2.2-3300, enumerating the legal holidays observed in the Commonwealth of Virginia, the Clerk’s Office of the Circuit Court of the City of Chesapeake shall be closed on:
January 1 – New Year’s Day;
The Friday preceding the third Monday in January – Lee/Jackson Day;
The third Monday in January – Martin Luther King, Jr. Day;
The third Monday in February – George Washington Day;
The last Monday in May – Memorial Day;
July 4th – Independence Day;
The first Monday in September – Labor Day
The second Monday in October – Columbus Day & Yorktown Victory Day
November 11th – Veterans Day;
The fourth Thursday in November and the Friday next following – Thanksgiving Day;
and December 25 – Christmas Day;
or, whenever any of such days fall on Saturday, the Friday next preceding such day, or whenever any of such days fall on Sunday, the Monday next following such day; and any day so appointed by the Governor of this Commonwealth or the President of the United States, shall be a legal holiday as to the transaction of all business or until modified by further order of this Court.
As a holiday approaches, check the CityofChesapeake.net home page for additional details.
In the event of severe weather, information about court closings or delays can be obtained by checking the CityofChesapeake.net home page or watching Channels 3, 10, 13, and 48.
Continuances of Cases Due to Court Closure: Pursuant to Rule 14 of the Rules of the Chesapeake Circuit Court, cases set to be heard on a day on which the Court and Clerk’s Office have been closed due to conditions that constitute a threat to the health and safety of personnel or the general public, will be continued as follows:
(1) Criminal trials, motions, probation violation hearings and sentencing hearings will be called at the next scheduled Criminal Docket Call; however, counsel may submit an agreed continuance order prior to docket call.
(2) Civil trials will be called at the Court’s next scheduled Civil Docket Call. Contested divorce trials will be continued generally and may be rescheduled by contacting the Court’s Docket Administrator at 757-382-3053.
(3) Civil motions and uncontested divorce hearings will be continued generally and may be rescheduled in accordance with Local Rule 7 (Rules of the Chesapeake Circuit Court).