- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
|Phone: 757-382-3050||Fax: 757-382-3080|
|Address: 307 Albemarle Drive, Suite 400A, Chesapeake, VA 23322|
The Circuit Court of the City of Chesapeake is a Court of general jurisdiction served by five (5) judges. The Court hears criminal and civil cases including divorce cases. The Court also hears appeals from decisions of the General District and Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Courts. In most cases, with the exception of divorce cases, any party is entitled to a jury trial upon notice to the other parties and upon the filing of the request in the Clerk’s Office, pursuant to the Rules of the Chesapeake Circuit Court.
- Court hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Circuit Court Clerk’s office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Sentencing and Probation Violation hearings commence at 9 a.m. each day, excluding Wednesday.
- Criminal and Civil Trials commence at 9:00 a.m. each day, excluding Wednesday.
- Pursuant to Rule 14 of the Rules of the Chesapeake Circuit Court (link above), cases set to be heard on a day on which the Court and Clerk’s Office have been closed pursuant to Virginia Code § 17.1-207(A)(3), due to the determination that operation of the Court and Clerk’s Office, under prevailing conditions, would constitute a threat to the health and safety of personnel or the general public, will be continued as follows: (1) Criminal trials, motions, probation violation hearings and sentencing hearings will be called at the next scheduled Criminal Docket Call of October 2, 2018 at 2:00 p.m.; however, counsel may submit an agreed continuance order prior to docket call. (2) Civil trials will be called at the Court’s next scheduled Civil Docket Call of October 2, 2018 at 10:00 a.m. Contested divorce trials will be continued generally and may be rescheduled by contacting the Court’s Docket Administrator at 757-382-3053. (3) Civil motions and uncontested divorce hearings will be continued generally and may be rescheduled in accordance with Local Rule 7.
The following items will NOT be allowed inside the courts building.
All contraband items will be confiscated.
- Pepper spray
- Weapons of any kind
- Cell phones
- Glass containers
- Drinks (liquids of any kind)
- Hand cuff keys
- Tools of any kind
- Nail files
- Nail clippers
- Recording devices
- Any other item determined to be contraband or a security threat