- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Chesapeake Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court
|Phone: 757-382-8100||Fax: 757-382-8152|
|Clerk of Court: Bonnie Coffey
|Address: 301 Albemarle Drive, 2nd Floor, Chesapeake, VA 23322|
|Visit the Virginia Judicial System website for additional contact information, court schedules, and a list judges.|
The purpose of the Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court as specified in the Virginia Code §16.1-227 is:
- To divert from or within the juvenile justice system, to the extent possible, consistent with the protection of the public safety, those children who can be cared for or treated through alternative programs;
- To provide judicial procedures through which the provisions of this law are executed and enforced and in which the parties are assured a fair hearing and their constitutional and other rights are recognized and enforced;
- To separate a child from such child's parents, guardian, legal custodian or other person standing in loco parentis only when the child's welfare is endangered or it is in the interest of public safety and then only after consideration of alternatives to out-of-home placement which afford effective protection to the child, his family, and the community; and
- To protect the community against those acts of its citizens, both juveniles and adults, which are harmful to others and to reduce the incidence of delinquent behavior and to hold offenders accountable for their behavior.
If appealing an order of this court, fees will be applied for cases involving custody or visitation.
Guardian Ad Litem
Fees associated with this service are assessed against the child's parents and guardians based upon their income.
The Filing fee for custody and visitation petitions is $25 per filing event.
- Traffic fines may be pre-paid n later than the day before the scheduled court date. Accepted methods of payment include credit cards, debit cards, checks, and cash. Payment are accepted in person, you may no pay over the telephone.
- To pre-pay a ticket, a juvenile must either have a parent present or the ticket must be notarized and bear the signature of a parent or guardian.
Make a payment
Various payments can be made online via the online payment system.
You must make a formal request for deferred and installment payment plans.
For more payment information, visit or call the court (757-382-8100).
Judges and Court Schedule
- Hon. David J. Whitted, Chief Judge
- Hon. Lori Beth Galbraith
- Hon. Andrew D. Kubovcik
- Hon. Larry D. Willis Sr.
Criminal, Civil, Traffic/Summons
Mon. - Fri., 9:00 a.m.
Mon., Tues., & Thurs., 10:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m., 2:00 p.m.
Mon., Tues., Wed., & Thurs. 10:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m., 2:00 p.m.
Mon., Tues., Wed., & Thurs., 10:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m., 2:00 p.m.
Tues., Wed., & Thurs., 10:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m., 2:00 p.m.
Mon. - Fri.
Drivers' License Presentation
Each week on varying days (Report at 2:45pm) at 3:00 p.m.
Information for Magistrates:
All Criminal Arraignments:
If detained, set for the next day at 9:00 a.m.
If released, set for one week out at 9:00 a.m.
If out of jurisdiction, set for three weeks out at 9:00 a.m.
Continuances granted by Judge on motion.
Chesapeake JDR Local Rules
Please view the detailed JDR Court rules. (5 page pdf)
The following items will NOT be allowed inside the courts building.
All contraband items will be confiscated.
- Pepper spray
- Weapons of any kind
- Camera cell phones
- Glass containers
- Drinks (liquids of any kind)
- Hand cuff keys
- Tools of any kind
- Nail files
- Nail clippers
- Recording devices
- Any other item determined to be contraband or a security threat
DirectionsThe court can be found on the second floor of 301 Albemarle Drive, Chesapeake, VA 23322. Find directions and transit information, using Google Maps. HRT buses stop at the court complex throughout the day.
Court Closures and Inclement Weather
The Chesapeake Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court will be closed on each of the following Holidays:
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
New Year's Day
Inclement Weather Policy
In the event of severe weather, information about court closings or delays can be obtained by checking CityofChesapeake.net or watching Channels 3, 10, 13, and 48.
Please visit the Virginia Judicial System website and the Chesapeake JDR District Court page for additional information about docket, pleadings, motions, continuances, attorneys, custody, visitation and support, court closures, contact information, schedules, judges, and directions.