- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
The Clerk of Court has presented a general overview of procedural information. For review of a specific statute in its entirety, please refer to the Code of Virginia.
Name Change Procedure for Adults
Users of these forms are instructed to consult Virginia Code Section 8.01-217 and any other applicable Code Sections. These forms are not provided as or intended to replace legal assistance.
If you decide to proceed on your own, you will be expected to follow the same procedures as an attorney. Please DO NOT ask Court Personnel for legal advice, Court Personnel are prohibited by state law to give legal advice.
- A name change may not be sought for any fraudulent purpose or if it will infringe upon the rights of another.
- You must submit the Name Change to the Circuit Court of the City/County in which you live.
- The Application, Affidavit and Order are available online or at the Circuit Court Clerk's Office.
- Complete the Application for Change of Name, Affidavit and Order for Name Change.
- The Application and Affidavit must be notarized. In the Affidavit you must state your specific reason for requesting a name change.
- You must include a photo copy of your birth certificate.
(If you had your name changed previously you must also submit documentation such as a photocopy of your marriage license and/or divorce decree)
- The filing fee is $39.00 made payable to Chesapeake Circuit Court.
- Please provide a self-addressed stamped envelope for the return of a certified copy of the Order for Name Change.