- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
Circuit Court Clerk
Circuit Court Clerk
Alan P. Krasnoff
Procedure for Processing Hand Gun Permits
Virginia Code Sections 18.2-308.02 and 06
Requirements & Procedure
- Must be a resident of Chesapeake; And
- 21 years of age or older; And
- Proof of handgun safety course; Or
- Previously issued concealed weapon permit; Or
- Valid Virginia hunting license; Or
- Proof of service in the military
- (retired military must provide a copy of their DD214)
Fees & Costs
$50.00 Fee – Cash, Check, Visa or Mastercard*Make checks payable to Clerk of the Circuit Court
*Please note a 2% convenience fee will be added to your total if you choose to use a credit/debit card
Apply between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.
(The application is available on the Virginia State Police Forms & Publications website.)
Any person 21 years of age or older may apply in writing to the clerk of the circuit court of the county or city in which he resides, or if he is a member of the United States armed forces, the county or city in which he is domiciled, for a five-year permit to carry a concealed handgun. There shall be no requirement regarding the length of time an applicant has been a resident or domiciliary of the county or city. The application shall be made under oath before a notary or other person qualified to take oaths and shall be made only on a form prescribed by the Department of State Police, in consultation with the Supreme Court, requiring only that information necessary to determine eligibility for the permit. No information or documentation other than that which is allowed on the application in accordance with this section may be requested or required by the clerk or the court.
PERMIT IS VALID FOR 5 YEARS
- NOTE: For renewals, apply 45 days BEFORE expiration date. *Out-of-state applicants must apply with State Police.
*OUT-OF-STATE APPLICANTS APPLY WITH STATE POLICE*
Any other questions, refer to the CODE OF VIRGINIA 18.2-308.
Alan P. Krasnoff, Clerk
Chesapeake Circuit Court