- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
- Property Information
Paddle for the Border
Paddle for the Border
- POSTPONED UNTIL FALL 2021 -
Updated December 28, 2020
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, Paddle partners have made the decision to postpone the May 2021 Paddle for the Border event tentatively to a Saturday in the fall, date to be determined. We'll be closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation and will try to make a determination on a fall event by the end of May 2021. The health and safety of our communities is always of upmost importance.
In March of 2020, participants were given the option to defer registration to 2021, request a credit to ActiveNet or request a refund.
1. For those who opted to defer registration to 2021, you will receive a refund before the end of February 2021. There will be no deferrals to a fall Paddle event, and you will need to re-register for the fall Paddle 2021 event if interested.
2. For those who received a credit or refund already, you do not need to do anything at this time and will need to register for the fall Paddle 2021 event if interested.
We are committed to doing everything we can to bring our communities together for a Paddle for the Border 2021 event and will always follow the Commonwealth of Virginia and the State of North Carolina's safety guidelines. When it is safe for us to do so, we will open registration for the 2021 event and communications will be sent out to all 2020 registered participants. The updated event information will also be posted on our Facebook page and website.
In the meantime, Chesapeake Parks, Recreation and Tourism will be putting together an interactive Waterways Guide and Treasure Hunt on the Visit Chesapeake app. Download it today and stay tuned.
The Dismal Swamp State Park and Camden County Tourism Development Authority/Dismal Swamp Canal Welcome Center will continue to offer information about paddling and boating in North Carolina. For more information, visit their websites. We thank you for your understanding during these difficult times and hope to see you in 2021!
Questions may be directed to the following partners:
- Event Pictures
- Download a map of the Dismal Swamp Canal Trail
- Download a brochure depicting a map of the PADDLE route and interesting facts about the area.
Want to participate but need a boat?
Call Parks, Recreation and Tourism at 757-382-1318 for more information or questions.Other Options (call company for information):
- Adventure Kayak Tours, 757-237-8776
- Chesapeake Campground, 757-485-0149
- Ocean Rentals/Surf and Adventure, 757-721-6210
- Dismal Swamp State Park, NC, 252-771-6592
If you need hotel accommodations or want more information on Chesapeake, please visit www.visitchesapeake.com
Quotes from Participants
Thank you for your wonderful handling and organization of the Paddle to the Border event. I was so glad that I finally had a chance to participate in it. Well done to all the employees and volunteers.
James M. Seagraves
Newport News, VA
Dear Paddle for the Border organizers, staff and volunteers,
We would like to say thank you for the most well organized and friendly event we have ever attended. The day was glorious, the scenery was spectacular, staff and volunteers all had a 'can do' approach, the food was phenomenal, and everyone was so helpful. We had a wonderful time - and were so thankful for the two Dismal Swamp State Park Old Town rental kayaks. We're proud to wear our Paddle for the Border t-shirts and hats. Thanks to ALL for an unforgettable event.
Lonnie and Dave Schorer
I would like to thank everyone who help put this together...what a coordination, not only two cities but different states as well.. This was my first time but best bet it will not be my last... The whole thing worked like it was supposed to and I think everyone had a great time, I know the four of us did. Many thanks for the efforts.
Montey R Eldridge