Studies show that being outdoors improves:
- Mood and mental health
- People are happier and more content living near green space and have fewer depressive symptoms than those in less green spaces.
- One's ability to cope with life stressors.
- Improved work productivity.
- Increased self-esteem.
- Social interaction which improves mental health.
The Role of Chesapeake Parks:
- Functions as a nucleus of neighborhood activity for social events and recreational activities.
- Provides dog-friendly open spaces and 5 City dog parks where owners and dogs can enjoy social interaction.
- Contributes towards a sense of community when members and organizations work together for the benefit of park improvements.
- Learning is essential to wellness, and our parks programs offer learning in the outdoors for all ages such as bird walks, nature walks, night hikes, fishing and more.
- Learning in our instructional classes and sports programs which leads to development and social well-being for all ages.
- Walking on the many trails available and/or utilizing the fitness equipment in 4 of the City's 72 parks
- State-of-the-art fitness equipment in all 8 community centers.
- Instructional classes such as Zumba, karate, dance, tennis, gymnastics and more for all ages promote physical movement and activity.
- Sports programs for all ages for physical as well as social development.
- Healthy snacks using vegetables and fruits as craft projects in out-of-school time, camps and Seniors' programs.
- Seniors' programs include workshops and fairs with informative speakers and literature that promote health and wellness.
- The addition of security cameras installed in parks and facilities offer patron protection and safety.
Physical activity is one of the most important routine behaviors that reduces chronic disease and improves health outcomes for all age groups.
Playgrounds • Events • Instructional Programs • Camps • Amenities