- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
Therapeutic Recreation Programs
Miss & Mr. Abilities Chesapeake Pageant
The City of Chesapeake Parks, Recreation and Tourism has been serving the citizens of Chesapeake with special needs for over 30 years! Our certified staff are dedicated to maintaining an atmosphere that empowers participants to enjoy life and reach their goals every day.
Steps to F.U.N. Participation:
Prerequisites typically include: ability to manage personal belongings with minimal assistance, ability to follow 1 to 2-step directions, ability to use the restroom with minimal assistance, and have a desire to participate. If additional assistance is needed, please let us know ahead of time so we can accommodate their needs. If the participant has a personal aide, they are encouraged to stay and assist and actively participate.
Follow these steps for F.U.N.
- Fill out a screening form. Bring this completed form with you when you meet with the TR staff person.
- Undergo a screening with a TR Staff Member. Call 757-382-1328 to set up an appointment to finish the screening process.
- Now all you have to do is register for the desired program! Check out our Leisure Guide or programs below.
|Target populations include||Program Goals Include|
|Our Programs Also Support|
For more information about our Programs, please contact:
Jessica Smith, Recreation Specialist II
Ways to sign-up for programs
- In person at any Community Center
- Or by mail:
Chesapeake Therapeutic Recreation Programs
1224 Progressive Drive, Chesapeake VA, 23320
To complete the sign-up process, call the TR program at 757-382-1328!
Whether it's once a month, or once a week, you can make a difference.
Please call Jessica at 757-382-1328 for more information.
Volunteer & Instructor Opportunities Are Available!
For information about Special Olympics Virginia, visit their website.
"Special Olympics is a year-round international program of sports training and athletic competition for children and adults with intellectual disabilities. Special Olympics Virginia is the state program of Special Olympics Incorporated."
– Quote taken from the Special Olympics Virginia website
For information about Special Olympics Virginia Area 2 (Hampton Roads), visit their website.