- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
I Want To
- Apply for SNAP (Food Assistance)
- Apply for TANF
- Apply for Medicaid (Medical Assistance)
- Apply for Child Care Assistance
- Apply for Energy Assistance (Heating/Cooling)
- Report Suspected Adult Abuse/Neglect
- Report Suspected Child Abuse/Neglect
- Get Child Support Information
- Get Housing Information
- Get Information on Social Security
- Get Information on Virginia Employment Commission
- Find Resources
Jobs Work! Center
The Jobs Work! Center will assist individuals and families to choose to become interdependent and empowered contributors to the City of Chesapeake family. Our strategy is supported by private and public partners and is one which values the potential and possibilities of our customers. We assist the business community by providing a pool of dependable, job-ready employees to area businesses which helps to reduce the rate of employee turnover and re-training.
The following services are provided by the Jobs Work! Center:
Virginia Initiative for Employment not Welfare (VIEW) provides Employment, Training, Education, and Supportive Services to customers receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). VIEW is the work component of the Virginia Independence Program (VIP) which combines work and work related activities with education and training. TANF recipients are required to participate in VIEW when their youngest child turns 12 months old, unless they meet an exemption.
SNAP Employment and Training (SNAPET) Program provides Employment, Training, Education and Supportive Services to customers who receive SNAP. SNAP household members between the ages of 18 to 60 who are unemployed or working less than 30 hours per week, whose youngest child is 6 years old, are eligible to participate in the SNAPET, a voluntary program.
Intensive Case Management Services (ICM) provide Employment, Training and Supportive Services to customers with long term welfare dependency and significant barriers to self sufficiency.
What services does the Jobs Work! Center provide?
The Jobs Work! Center provides:
- Employability Assessments
- Job Counseling/Coaching
- Job Search Activities
- Job Development
- Job Placement
- Job Readiness Training
- Job Retention Assistance
- Education and Skills Training
- Computer Lab Facilities
The Jobs Work! Center also provides "Intensive Services" for job seekers and their families through our in-house and community partners:
- Child Care and Early Childhood Development
- Project FIND - Fathers In New Directions
- Chesapeake Adult Education Center
- GENEX Services, Inc.
- Educational Opportunity Center
- Tidewater Community College
- OppInc. One Stop Workforce
- The STOP Organization
- Department of Child Support Enforcement (DCSE)
- Department of Rehabilitative Services (DRS)
Who is eligible for Jobs Work! Center services?
- Customers currently receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or SNAP, and who are required to participate in an employment program
- TANF customers who wish to volunteer for an employment program
- Certain customers who formerly received TANF or SNAP
Which programs operate through the Jobs Work! Center?
- Virginia Initiative for Employment not Welfare (VIEW)
- SNAP Employment and Training Program (SNAPET)
- Intensive Case Management Services
How do I apply for services?
Customers are referred to the VIEW and SNAPET programs by their Benefits Case Worker. Intensive Case Management Services require a referral from an Employment Services Case Manager, Benefits Worker, or Services Worker.