- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
I Want To
- Apply for SNAP (Food Assistance)
- Apply for TANF
- Apply for Medicaid (Medical Assistance)
- Apply for Child Care Assistance
- Apply for Energy Assistance (Heating/Cooling)
- Report Suspected Adult Abuse/Neglect
- Report Suspected Child Abuse/Neglect
- Get Child Support Information
- Get Housing Information
- Get Information on Social Security
- Get Information on Virginia Employment Commission
- Find Resources
Proposed Joint Juvenile Justice Center: 920 Minuteman Drive
Find information about the other proposed site at 3316 S. Military Highway.
PUBLIC NOTICE: A public meeting to discuss this project has been scheduled for 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday, July 20, at Grassfield High School, 2007 Grizzly Trail.
The City of Chesapeake (Chesapeake) and the Virginia Department of Juvenile Justice (VDJJ) are looking to partner to build a "Joint Juvenile Justice Center (JJJC)" with Chesapeake operating a juvenile detention center and VDJJ operating a juvenile correctional center. This page offers an overview of the project along with links to more information. The proposed site is located at 920 Minuteman Drive, formerly the site of the Chesapeake Alternative School
Safety and security are the highest priority for the 112-bed facility (48 City/64 State), which will replace the City’s current, outdated facility in Great Bridge and outdated state facilities near Richmond. The proposed location allows for easy access for families, legal professionals, and others who provide service and support for the juveniles. The proposed site will also provide an “anchor” for extending utilities into the growing Dominion Boulevard corridor. Approximately 300 jobs will be created or relocated to the new facility.
- Frequently asked questions about the project
- Maps featuring properties near proposed location
- Photos of the proposed location