- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
During a hurricane
Here are some tips for what to do during a hurricane.
- Evacuate: Fatalities and injuries caused by hurricanes are often the
resultof individuals remaining in unsafe locations during a storm. If authorities advise or order you to evacuate, do so immediately. Be sure to remember the Five Ps of Evacuation: People, Prescriptions, Papers, Personal Needs, and Priceless Items.
- Leave early to avoid delays caused by traffic, lines, high winds, and flooding.
- Stick to designated evacuation routes.
- If you are not evacuating, take precautions to protect yourself and stay safe from the high winds and potential localized flooding.
- Stay indoors away from windows and glass doors.
- If you are in a mobile home or temporary structure, move to a sturdy building.
- For protection in extremely high winds, go to a small, interior, windowless room, such as a bathroom or closet, on the lowest level not likely to flood.
- Move to a location on higher ground before floodwaters prevent your ability to leave.
Learn more about hurricane awareness, preparation, and response, visit www.ready.gov/hurricanes