- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
Citizens' Police Academy
Have you ever wondered
- What a police officer does all day?
- What happens to suspects when they are arrested?
- If a real Crime Scene Investigator works like the ones on television?
- What happens when a citizen dials 9-1-1?
- What it’s really like inside a jail?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions – or if you would just like to know how the Police Department is spending your tax dollars...
You are cordially invited to attend the
Chesapeake Citizens Police Academy!
What is the Chesapeake Citizens Police Academy (CCPA)?
The CCPA is a 14-session course designed to acquaint Chesapeake citizens with the many facets of our Police Department. Applicants for CCPA must be at least 18 years old, a Chesapeake citizen, and pass a criminal background check.
When are classes held?
The CCPA begins the first Monday in April and September. Classes are from 6 p.m. - 9 p.m. There are also 2 Saturday sessions that meet from 9 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Where are the classes held?
Classes are held throughout the City, under the direction and guidance of the Chesapeake Citizens Police Academy, depending on the subject matter.
Who teaches the classes?
Subject Matter Experts from the Police Department, including command staff, Commonwealth Attorney’s Office, and Sheriff’s Department present interesting, thought-provoking, and eye-opening presentations of their particular area(s) of expertise.
What topics are covered?
Among topics typically covered* are:
- Use of force
- Crime Analysis
- Tour of Forensics Labs
- K-9 Unit Demonstration
- SWAT Team Demonstration
- Tour of courts and jail
- Tour of 9-1-1 Dispatch Center
- Crime Prevention & Block Security
- Drugs, Special Investigations and Search Warrants
- Firearms Range (participants can fire a standard Police service weapon)
- Ride-Along(s) with Patrol Officers as they cover their “beat”
* Please note: All tours and classes are subject to availability of personnel, emergency situations occurring, weather, and other matters, and are at the sole discretion of the Police Department.
How can I apply?
The Academy is offered twice a year. Please keep an eye on this page for future application announcements. For more information on the CCPA please contact the Chesapeake Police Academy at 757-382-1525. Download the CCPA Application
At the completion of the course, participants are awarded a “Certificate of Completion,” typically presented by the Chief of Police at a graduation ceremony.
Graduates of the Chesapeake Citizens Police Academy are eligible for membership in the Chesapeake Citizens Police Academy Alumni Association (CCPAAA). Meetings are held monthly to hear guest speakers, enjoy social activities, keep abreast of police activities, and receive updated information on volunteer opportunities. Individual volunteerism within the Police Department is encouraged.
If you would like to receive further information, contact the Chesapeake Police Academy at 382-1525. A criminal record check will be conducted on all participants, and letters will go out approximately two weeks before this session begins.
Chesapeake Police Academy
** A criminal record check will be conducted on all participants. **