- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
Dispatcher I Trainee
Note: BOTH the Personal History Statement AND the City of Chesapeake C.L.I.C.K. application are required when applying for this position. They should be submitted as close together as possible and normally within a few days of each other. Failure to submit both will result in disqualification from the hiring process.
Both of the above applications are required!
Join The Team!
What do you get when you join the Chesapeake Emergency Communications Center? Opportunity. Your assignment will give you a challenging and rewarding career and a place to develop and grow. You'll have an opportunity to serve the public, to help people unable to help themselves, to prevent crime and to promote justice.
- Dispatcher I Trainee – $34,081.00
The Police Department employs highly motivated individuals to train for the Emergency Communications Center. Individuals selected for the position will be trained to dispatch police, fire, rescue, and animal control personnel in response to emergency and non-emergency situations using various communication systems. This position requires the ability to work in a confined environment wearing headsets, which restrict physical movement in the work area, and sitting and viewing computer displays for extended periods of time. Candidates must have the ability to perform as a team player, work under pressure, and be available to work all shifts, nights, weekends, and holidays. See other requirements and disqualifiers below. View and/or Download the Complete Job Class Description
- View City of Chesapeake Employee Benefits
- Potential Career Development Levels: Dispatcher II, Dispatcher III, Dispatch Supervisor
- Must be 18 years of age
- Possess a High School diploma or GED
- Be a US citizen or meet VCIN requirements
- Pass a dispatcher job skills related test (no prior dispatching experience is required, the test will evaluate skills such as decision making, multitasking, memory recall, data entry, typing skills & speed, oral comprehension, information processing,
cross referencing, etc.)
- Pass an oral interview
- Pass a background check, suitability test, and drug screening
- Untruthfulness or the withholding of any information on any application, interview, or paperwork associated with the application process
- Cheating on any examination or testing associated with the position
- Use of any illegal drug or substance, including but not limited to Cocaine, LSD, PCP, within the last five (5) years or Marijuana within one (1) year
- Conviction of any crime involving acts of deceit, immorality, or dishonesty
How Do You Join?
Email the Chesapeake Police Department Emergency Communications Center at email@example.com or visit the City's website application area:
- City's C.L.I.C.K. Online Dispatcher I Trainee Application
- Personal History Statement
(The Personal History Statement is required in addition to the City application)
Why join now? Because we need you and you need an exciting career!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.