- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
What is a Special Exception?
A special exception may be granted by the Planning Commission for the relief of specific Zoning Ordinance requirements only under special circumstances. The Chesapeake Zoning Ordinance specifies when a property owner can apply for a special exception. Consideration for a special exception can be processed as part of a required preliminary site plan or subdivision plan review or as a separate request.
Application Deadline 5 p.m. the Monday prior to the first Wednesday of the month.
Planning Commission Public Hearing Schedule
Please read the Public Hearing Application Instructions prior to submitting an application.
- A complete Special Exception application form.
The original and three (3) copies of the complete Special Exception application, with original signatures on one copy, including all required development information
- Legal Description and common street address of the property
- Payment of Filing Fee
- Adjacent Property Owners List of names and addresses
(page 5) Stamped #10 (4 1/8" by 9 1/2") enveloped with the name and mailing address of each adjacent property owner printed legibly
- Post a sign (supplied by the Planning Department) two Wednesdays prior to the Planning Commission Public Hearing.
- Sign fee is $25 for first sign and $20 for each additional sign.
- Advertising Fees will be billed separately (average cost is $100 per advertisement, with a minimum of two (2) advertisements required)
- Site Plans and Maps
- Zoning Map – reduced to 8½" x 11" paper.
- Map of the property – reduced to 8½" x 11" paper.
- Vicinity Map – reduced to 8½" x 11" paper.
- Preliminary Site Plan of the proposed development, drawn to scale
Submit 30 copies, plus 2 copies reduced to 11" by 17" paper, plus 2 copies reduced to 8 ½" by 11" paper