- Visiting Chesapeake?
- City Activities and Info
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
What is a Preliminary Subdivision Plan?
A preliminary subdivision plan is required when a parcel of land is subdivided into more than fifty (50) lots. However, if new streets or utility extensions are required, a preliminary plan is encouraged regardless of the number of lots. The preliminary subdivision review ensures that the subdivision meets all design criteria established by the Chesapeake Subdivision Ordinance and assures the citizens and community that the subdivision is properly designed and equipped.
Application Deadline is the 1st Monday of the month.
Administrative Review Schedule
Please read the Administrative Plan Review Application Instructions prior to submitting an application.
Preparation for Online Application Submittal
- Street Address of the Property or (Tax) Parcel Number
- Legal Description, Deed Book and Map Book if available
- Drainage Impact Assessment, ready to upload
- Electronic Preliminary Subdivision Plan of the proposed development, drawn to scale, ready to upload as a PDF
- Electronic Landscape Plan, ready to upload as a PDF
- Electronic Environmental Site Assessment, Phase I, if required by the Zoning Ordinance, $1600 supplemental review fee will apply
- If a private park/open space is being offered, prepare a description which includes acreage and itemized listing of improvements, including the cost of improvements.
- Acceptable Filing Fee payment method readily available (credit cards or eCheck/linked bank account)
After Online Application Submittal
- Pay Sign Fee when invoiced and Post Sign(s)
The Planning Department will supply these and you will receive a call for pick-up. Sign fees are $25 for first sign and $20 for each additional sign
- Attend mandatory Applicant Conference the 3rd Wednesday of the month, the month after the application is filed.