- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
Fire Department Applicants
Employment information, which includes the City employment application, is posted on our CLICK website www.jobs.cityofchesapeake.net and is updated daily.
Contact the Department of Human Resources with all employment related questions, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS TO PARTICIPATE IN THE FIREFIGHTER ENTRANCE EXAM
EXAMINATION PROCESS AND AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFYING FACTORS:
I. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: Must be legally authorized to work in the United States;
- Must be 18 years of age at the time of conditional offer;
- Must be a high school graduate or possess a GED;
- Must possess a valid motor vehicle operator's license with an acceptable driving record; and
- Must have no felony convictions or any convictions involving acts of dishonesty, deceit, or immorality.
II. AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFYING FACTORS
- Felony or misdemeanor convictions involving acts of violence, dishonesty, deceit, or immorality.
- A conviction of any crime involving sexual misconduct where the lack of affirmative consent by the victim is an element of the crime.
- A conviction involving the sexual or physical abuse of children, the elderly or the incapacitated.
- A conviction of any crime (including abuse, neglect, theft from, or financial exploitation) against a person entrusted to his/her care or protection in which the victim is a patient or is a resident of a health care facility.
- A conviction of any crime involving the use, possession, manufacturing, and/or distribution of illegal drugs within the last five (5) years.
- A conviction of any "Crimes Against the Person" within the last five (5) years, as prescribed by Administrative Regulation 2.46, Workplace Violence Prevention Policy.
- A conviction of any barrier crimes or offenses enumerated in Code of Virginia § 63.2-1719, as amended from time to time, or equivalent offenses in another state.
- Must possess a driving record which is in accordance with the City Driving Standards policy.
- Inclusion on either the National Sex Offender Public Website or the Virginia State Department of Social Services' Child Protective Services Central Registry;
- Use of Cocaine, LSD, PCP, or any type of hallucinogenic drug in the last five (5) years or use of Marijuana in the last three (3) years, unless the candidate has successfully completed, or is currently participating in, a supervised drug rehabilitation program and is no longer engaging in the illegal use of drugs. The candidate may also demonstrate that he/she has been otherwise rehabilitated successfully and is no longer engaging in the illegal use of drugs;
- Identified by the Department of Health and Human Services Office of the Inspector General as excluded from Medicare and other federal health-care programs;
- Any disciplinary or enforcement action from another state EMS office, or other recognized state or national healthcare provider licensing or certifying body within the last five (5) years;
- Permanent, or a history of, revocation of license or certification by another state EMS office or other recognized state or national healthcare provider licensing or certifying body;
- Dishonorable discharge or any conduct related discharge from any military service. Uncharacterized discharges will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis;
- Untruthfulness or the intentional withholding of information on any application, interview, or paperwork associated with this process; or
- Cheating on any examination or testing associated with this process.