- Visiting Chesapeake?
- Resources for New and Relocating Businesses
- Development, Land Use & Construction
- City Council
- City Budget
Signs on Motor Vehicles
Section 14-705, F. of the Chesapeake Zoning Ordinance regulates advertising which appears on motor vehicles. It reads as follows:
- The vehicle must be licensed according to state and local requirements.
- The vehicle shall not be used primarily as an advertising display.
- The vehicle shall not be parked/stored in any required yard adjacent to a street, with the following exceptions:
- vehicles engaged in actual loading and unloading operations, or other bona fide business activities;
- vehicles totally obscured from view from the street by an opaque fence or other screen;
- vehicles on which the sign graphics attached or painted upon it does not exceed an area or four square feet;
- vehicles for which no alternative parking space can be made available on the site.
The term “required yard” refers to the building setback distance required for a particular zoning district. This can vary from 25 to 50 feet. Please refer to the illustration on the next page for additional information.
Section 14-705, F is intended to prohibit motor vehicles from being used as advertising where freestanding business signs are prohibited or specially regulated.